Wood ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Avery24

Jul 18, 2019
CT
Hey, got this for free from a buddy’s property. Wood is tough as hell to split and very stringy. Any idea?

Attachments

• 50382EAA-545E-437D-BC41-11AE63CB8EFB.jpeg
    50382EAA-545E-437D-BC41-11AE63CB8EFB.jpeg
    233.8 KB · Views: 207
  • 7D0619C5-534C-4738-884C-3909AF076CD1.jpeg
    7D0619C5-534C-4738-884C-3909AF076CD1.jpeg
    244.2 KB · Views: 207
I agree with Qvist -- tough and stringy -- hickory was one of the first to come to mind. Still just a guess though.

My first guess is hickory. I'm terrible at judging by pic though. Did it smell like pig crap when u split it lol.

Being older and tough to split, bark does look like a type of hickory

Do a simple test, pick it up, is it heavy or light in weight? Hickory would have some heft to it. I still think it's Poplar or some lighter wood, also based on the picture of the cut ends of the unsplit pieces, that doesn't look like Hickory cut ends to me but I could be wrong.

Do a simple test, pick it up, is it heavy or light in weight? Hickory would have some heft to it. I still think it's Poplar or some lighter wood, also based on the picture of the cut ends of the unsplit pieces, that doesn't look like Hickory cut ends to me but I could be wrong.
Just bumping this up so the OP answers it for us!

It’s hard to tell. It’s not super heave or light. Doesn’t seem any lighter/heavier than any ash, oak, or maple I have on hand. But I do know one thing it will be burned next year or so lol.

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Pignut hickory