Wood ID Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlow

Feeling the Heat
Jan 19, 2009
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Deadfall cut today. It is wet and smells like horse manure!!

Attachments

• DSC04023.JPG
    DSC04023.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 515
  • DSC04026.JPG
    DSC04026.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 493
  • DSC04024.JPG
    DSC04024.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 513
Can't tell too much by stripped off bark but by the smell aspect it sounds like it might be old diseased Dutch elm. Was any of it stringy when split? Usually elm will be stringy but when it goes down it usually has already begun to break down.

It really split quite cleanly. I didn't have to maul it. I just used the Fiskars and worked outside in. The bark came off like shucking an ear of corn.

Yellow Tulip.

I would also say Elm, I primarily use Elm due to it's availability. It does smell pretty bad. When it is already partialy seasoned it will split easy and clean.

The colour under the bark and the way it fell off along with the smell does suggest Elm but the grain doesn't look like Elm. Everyone talks about how tough and stringy Elm is but not all Elm is stringy.

The angle of that one crotch piece also suggests the upward form of an Elm.

It could well be Tulip but since Tulip doesn't grow around here, I really can't say. The grain resembles some of the Poplar/Aspen I have and I've come across some real diseased stinkers in my time. Some smelled so bad that I regretted bringing it in the house after re-splitting it.

Think its elm especially with the bark missing! Should be on the yellow side.

Not being familiar with tulip . . . I can say the description of the stink of the wood and bark falling off and the color of the wood would make me think American elm. The look of the split wood without being all knarly and hairy is not typical elm-like . . . although some of the very dead standing elm I have split have split pretty cleanly . . . or at least a lot cleaner than splitting some of the live elm or not so dead elm.

firefighterjake said:
Not being familiar with tulip . . . I can say the description of the stink of the wood and bark falling off and the color of the wood would make me think American elm. The look of the split wood without being all knarly and hairy is not typical elm-like . . . although some of the very dead standing elm I have split have split pretty cleanly . . . or at least a lot cleaner than splitting some of the live elm or not so dead elm.
2nd that tuilp

I'd have to say Hickory. The inner core looks like the Bitternut that I split in March.

LLigetfa said:
The colour under the bark and the way it fell off along with the smell does suggest Elm but the grain doesn't look like Elm. Everyone talks about how tough and stringy Elm is but not all Elm is stringy.

I think it is Elm as well, but not American Elm. By the grain, I would have to guess Chinese Elm.

Status
Not open for further replies.