Stinky Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Toasty-Yote

Dec 13, 2022
New York
Found these in my woodpile. I must have picked up a few branches of this as deadfall somewhere. Pretty light wood, spits a little as it burns and the smell kind of reminds me of the outer shell of black walnuts. Not the best firewood but it burns and sets better firewood on fire...

Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 12.40.15.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 12.40.27.png

Reactions: Woody Stover
A lower grade firewood (size of growth rings). Really very hard to ID with one split. Looks nice and dry!

Tree of Heaven?

Reactions: bigealta
Bark looks like linden or basswood. (Same tree really, basswood is native, linden is a commonly planted European species that will often naturalize).

Reactions: whatyousmokin
re: "stinky wood"

In Asia, they used to use sticks (mostly bamboo shoots) to wipe themselves, before the invention of toilet paper. Maybe it's Asian latrine wood? ;lol

Of course, you being in NY, the primary domestic predecessor to the Sears catalog would have been corn cobs.

Reactions: Woody Stover
It doesn't smell that much when burning but a fresh split has that strong black walnut smell but it is way too light and pretty sure the bark and wood looks vastly different. I had some Tree of Heaven Splits and they are different and don't have much smell to speak of.