Wood id please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks to me like Chestnut Oak. I'd be pretty sure (lots of Chestnut Oak here) except I don't see the medullary rays and with those high quality pics I think I should.

Flatbedford said:
Not BL. Wood is too red. BL looks is green like pressure treated lumber when it is fresh cut.
DSC06764.jpg

DSC06759.jpg

Not Always!!

Backwoods said:
It wasn't the easiest to cut through. Definitely not butter. More like a spiral ham. Split easier though.

Is it sharp ??? Rapid Super Chain??? Spiral Ham???? Cut that with a fork not a chainsaw

nrford said:
Flatbedford said:
Not BL. Wood is too red. BL looks is green like pressure treated lumber when it is fresh cut.

Not Always!!
?????? What are you saying? I have cut a lot of BL and it always looked that way to me.

Backwoods said:
It wasn't the easiest to cut through. Definitely not butter. More like a spiral ham. Split easier though.

The MS-170 is a mini-saw for limbs I have one for overhead cutting of limbs while standing on a ladder. With One hand Overhead and Im 63 yrs young,.

tfdchief said:
Dang Flatbed, you are the BL KING! I love that stuff but seldom get it. You just drive down your road, stop and cut it.......lucky duck! ;-P

This year was the year of the BL for me. I harvested about 5 cords! 4 of them from 1/2 mile or less from home.

Flatbedford said:
tfdchief said:
Dang Flatbed, you are the BL KING! I love that stuff but seldom get it. You just drive down your road, stop and cut it.......lucky duck! ;-P

This year was the year of the BL for me. I harvested about 5 cords! 4 of them from 1/2 mile or less from home.

I have run into much my ownself bennies of bei9ng retired. :lol:

Flatbedford said:
tfdchief said:

I know, I know, I pay attention and rest my case! :snake: :snake: :snake: I am going to come steal some :cheese:

If you come all the way out to my place, I'll give you some. I am about 18 hours drive from Chicago.

Flatbedford said:
If you come all the way out to my place, I'll give you some. I am about 18 hours drive from Chicago.
Thanks, Flatbed. If I ever get to retire, I may just do that. I could winterize the place, then head East and visit all you guys, Zap, Dennis, and all the gang. Sounds like fun!

cptoneleg said:
The MS-170 is a mini-saw for limbs I have one for overhead cutting of limbs while standing on a ladder. With One hand Overhead and Im 63 yrs young,.
In case newbies might try this in an unsafe manner maybe you should mention that the saw and the limb are tied off so that they can't fall and hit you, and the ladder is tied off, and that you are bungeed to a higher limb, and that you're wearing a helmet, face shield and full-body Kevlar suit...which is inflatable in case your bungee doesn't hold.
:cheese:

tfdchief said:
uncontrolabLEE said:
nrford said:
If it is an Oak you should be able to see the radial rays in the split. I see no rays, therefore Black Locust.
I think you mean medullary rays! I'll bet my forestry degree it's Chestnut Oak !
My Botany degree says Lee is probably right! ;-P
So you're involved in the industrial side of firefighting, specializing in plant fires?

If anyone has some pics of chestnut oak sliced up to show here, please post it for confirmation! There don't seem to be many pics of it online in that state. The locust does have the thick ridged bark like the original poster shows, and often the light ring inside the bark. Can't really tell about the Chestnut Oak, but most other oak 'slices' I see pics of doesn't really have bark like that.

Woody Stover said:
tfdchief said:
uncontrolabLEE said:
nrford said:
If it is an Oak you should be able to see the radial rays in the split. I see no rays, therefore Black Locust.
I think you mean medullary rays! I'll bet my forestry degree it's Chestnut Oak !
My Botany degree says Lee is probably right! ;-P
So you're involved in the industrial side of firefighting, specializing in plant fires?
The Botany degree was in my first life ;-)

OK, I screwed up, the picture I referred to is an example of chestnut OK. Sorry, stupid mistake.

chestnut oak i have cut is dark in the middle...with the color of locust around the middle part....i think ur wood is locust

Chestnut Oak wood looks and smells a lot like White Oak, but the bark is a lot thicker. I think you have Chestnut Oak.

If someone can explain the absense of "medullary rays" I could possibly agree with the "chestnut Oak" folks as we don't have that animal up here. Until then its B. Locust.

Another vote for Black Locust.

Status
Not open for further replies.