Wood ID & red stains

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JimBear

Minister of Fire
Dec 15, 2017
Iowa
I didn’t pay much attention to this when dragging it out of the brush pile a month or so ago. I was just moving it to get at some Locust,Mulberry & Cherry. I initially thought it was elm; as I refused to believe I found a horde of ash along the the above wood, but after cutting it up & splitting it today I believe it to be ash. Splits very easily, hand splitting so pretty sure it’s not American Elm. Super high moisture 32 -35%. I was of the impression that Ash was usually lower moisture content & I have never cut any Ash. The trees were taken out last fall. I am also curious about the red stains. I have looked thru the other wood ID posts to help me out but thought I would ask as well. I am hand splitting so

Attachments

• Wood ID & red stains
    54D08E84-C204-4F62-8D87-91C389808B10.jpeg
    217.7 KB · Views: 270
  • Wood ID & red stains
    1CF80263-6BAF-4C78-A96B-1A67B25EC02A.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 313
  • Wood ID & red stains
    C9246BCB-8D44-4264-91C6-C0F4B9ACAF71.jpeg
    142.8 KB · Views: 305
  • Wood ID & red stains
    image.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
I believe that box elder can get red stains from a fungus of some sort.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
And my knowledge of wood types is showcased again. Lol. Pretty much why I stick to cutting what I know I can identify. I was pretty positive that it was Elm after I drug it out of that brush pile.

Box elder sounds reasonable. The bark does not look like ash.

Thanks for the replies, you guys sure are a bunch of buzz killers, Lol. ;hm. I guess I now have 3/4 cord of Box Elder. It will be better than burning propane though.

Reactions: pernox and Tar12
Boxelder grows everywhere I look around here. Every fenceline, abandoned building, or junk car has it sprouting up alongside. I burn what isn’t rotted yet and it throws good quick heat. AKA Manitoba Maple if you want to dress up the name. Some folks tap them for maple syrup.

Yes, definitely Boxelder. Believe it or not is in the Maple family or do I've been told. Burns nothing like the harder maples though. A floodplain tree usually. I have too many of them. I consider them a weed tree for sure.

Yep, it's technically a maple. The only thing I don't like about it is the trees often get gnarly and twisted (at least around here) and therefore sections of the tree aren't very clean to split. They also tend to hollow out when older. But the straight stuff is great to process. I won't pass it up on my property...but then I also put basswood in my wood piles.