Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffesonm

Minister of Fire
May 29, 2012
central NJ
I've been cutting up a handful of oak trees that came down during Sandy. I didn't look too hard at this one just figuring it was another oak, but when I picked up a round, I noticed it wasn't as heavy as oak would be.

IMG_20130103_160440_064.jpg

IMG_20130103_160411_668.jpg

IMG_20130103_160430_614.jpg

Splits nice and straight. Ideas?

Ash Final Answer.

Reactions: ScotO
Some kind of Ash. Great burning with lower moisture content than most other woods.Dries much faster than any of the Oaks.

That would be nice! Was worried it might be a poplar or some junk. I am drowning in oak here which will be great in 2-3 years but doesn't help me next year.

Im gonna take a wild stab out in left field here and say cottonwood. Or big toothed aspen. My brother in law just cut one down. I have a lot of pics if I could just get them from my phone to here. The deep furrows of the bark and the size. I counted over 200 growth rings in mine. Also the inner bark ring was a soft camel hair color.
Better if it was Ash but you have some really nice straight wood. Bring the splits in by the fire if they dry out rather light its not Ash. Ash stays heavy.
I say burn it either way.

Im gonna take a wild stab out in left field here and say cottonwood. Or big toothed aspen. My brother in law just cut one down. I have a lot of pics if I could just get them from my phone to here. The deep furrows of the bark and the size. I counted over 200 growth rings in mine. Also the inner bark ring was a soft camel hair color.
Better if it was Ash but you have some really nice straight wood. Bring the splits in by the fire if they dry out rather light its not Ash. Ash stays heavy.
I say burn it either way.
Tapatalk is an app that will allow you to post pics and browse forums much easier.

Sure looks like ash.

Ash... good stuff. Load your stove with couple of pieces of well seasoned ash and a couple pieces of well seasoned black locust or white oak and you'll be running around your house in your undershorts!:eek:

That would be nice! Was worried it might be a poplar or some junk. I am drowning in oak here which will be great in 2-3 years but doesn't help me next year.

Good for you as the ash could be burned next year if needed.

Thats a mighty fine ash you got there, Jeffesonm! (get your mind out of the gutter) Great stuff, split it into medium sized splits (5"x5") ASAP, get it stacked in a windy location, and I'd be willing to bet it'll be ready by late fall 2013.......

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
It's Ash; magnify the pictures and you'll notice in the center of the cut sides a round pinhole, the tell-tale sign of Ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.