Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattsmth

Jan 17, 2013
Hello Everyone, I am new to the stove and firewood world but have been lurking and learning from here for a while now. I came across some free firewood this weekend and was hoping you guys could tell me what it is.
zOfyd2r.jpg

Pine of some sort is my thought, too. The cut ends are washed out in your picture so it's hard to see the wood itself, but those rings of branches all around the trunk at the same level are typical of conifers.

Split it and burn it next winter when you need a quick hot fire...not when you need a long lasting overnight burn.

Reactions: ScotO and Thistle
Count your blessings it was standing dead. Freshly cut living white pine is awfully messy stuff to deal with. The sap is like hide glue and there's lots of it.

Reactions: ScotO
Count your blessings it was standing dead. Freshly cut living white pine is awfully messy stuff to deal with. The sap is like hide glue and there's lots of it.

Tell me about it.....;lol

Welcome to the forum Matt.

Yes, that is pine and it will burn fine next winter. It might be best to keep in mind to not completely fill the stove with pine otherwise it might get a tad hot, so mix it or just build small fires.

For the future, if you get some pine that is not dead you will get lots of sap. Clean the tools with WD-40 and your hands with Miracle Whip. Throw the clothing in the laundry and let your wife worry about it. :rolleyes:

Throw the clothing in the laundry and let your wife worry about it. :rolleyes:

Or do what I do with work clothes that have concrete form oil spray,or other nasty stuff - gather a bunch of quarters & take them to the nearest laundromat a mile or so away.Why dirty up your own machine I say? ;)

Hello Everyone, I am new to the stove and firewood world but have been lurking and learning from here for a while now. I came across some free firewood this weekend and was hoping you guys could tell me what it is.
zOfyd2r.jpg
Where are you located?

SE PA just north of philadephia.
IMO, don't waste your time with such low quality wood. It takes just as much labor to process premium hardwoods as it does softwoods. Softwoods have their place occasionally, but not much.
With quality hardwoods, you will do less work, need less storage and get better heating.

If its free, already relatively dry and you are just getting started, go for it. But as was mentioned, try to spend time getting good stuff (hickory, hard and soft maple, cherry, locust, ash, etc.). All of which are plentiful in your area.....

Welcome to the club!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Appreciate it guys. Hoping to get really started gathering and seasoning of the summer since we just moved in and had no head start I am doing what I can to get started for now.

For the future, if you get some pine that is not dead you will get lots of sap. Clean the tools with WD-40 and your hands with Miracle Whip. Throw the clothing in the laundry and let your wife worry about it. :rolleyes:
Miracle whip? Where did come up with that? Completely random but really cool if it works.

Miracle whip? Where did come up with that? Completely random but really cool if it works.

I suspect it's the oil as mayonaise will work in the same way . . . drawback is that after using mayo or Miracle Whip you'll have a hankering for a roast beef grinder or tuna melt and will be tempted to lick your chainsaw.

Pine of some sort is my thought, too. The cut ends are washed out in your picture so it's hard to see the wood itself, but those rings of branches all around the trunk at the same level are typical of conifers.
That is a very smart and obvious observation about conifers. The whorling of the branches around the main trunk. Thats a great observation and makes IDing pine kind of simple.
My best friend offered me some firewood from her boyfriends barn. I brought my pickup expecting to get a nice load of super dry hardwood. But it was All pine. but I took it anyway. I split it into really fine pieces and use it to start fires. Waste not want not.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Fear not Sean, it works and you'll be amazed at how little it takes.
I have about 2 cord of live pine I cut recently sitting in log length. I may just head out and cut some up to try that.

Status
Not open for further replies.