wood id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

splitoak

Nov 6, 2013
Jefferson Co, WV
Could this be black birch?..real thin bark... and black.must have been dead standing..pretty light..took what was good..bottom was rotten...thanks

Attachments

• 20140114_110329.jpg
    20140114_110329.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 178
  • 20140114_110335.jpg
    20140114_110335.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 201
  • 20140114_112811.jpg
    20140114_112811.jpg
    383.2 KB · Views: 171
Hard to tell from those photos.. no good pictures of the bark and a split piece. One of the telltale signs of black birch is a wintergreen smell from a freshly split piece.

That isn't black birch.

Looks like hard oatmeal from here. Check it out good if you're hauling it out of a tough area. Might be rotted.

Reactions: Missouri Frontier
Don't you find bucket trucks perfect for wood collecting

U day man sully..lol..here are some split pics..straight grain not rotted at all..oh and moisture content still close to 30%.an its pretty lite to pick up..

Attachments

• 20140114_183342.jpg
    20140114_183342.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 134
U day man sully..lol..here are some split pics..straight grain not rotted at all..oh and moisture content still close to 30%.an its pretty lite to pick up..
Noticed that triplex and lighting arresters. Lol

Black birch for sure. You can see the horizontal lines called lenticils. Black birch is my favorite. I could go on and on about the romance. I have some punky stuff like you have and it burned real well. You won't get real long burn times however.

Reactions: Missouri Frontier
Black birch for sure. You can see the horizontal lines called lenticils. Black birch is my favorite. I could go on and on about the romance. I have some punky stuff like you have and it burned real well. You won't get real long burn times however.

Tell us about your black birch love affair. Just remember we are kinda PG around here.

That was my Mod try out. Am I ready for prime time?:p

Cottonwood , it will stink when you burn it

Except for the color on the one piece that you focus on it all looks more like beech to me. Especially the bark on the piece at the bottom of photo 3. I've split into plenty of beech that is spalted like in your split. If it were Black Birch the outer thin paper layer would be peeling and show on pieces that are as punky as that.

First pics look like it could be a small birch but the split doesn't look like it. Hard to say...moisture content and creeping for sun does weird things to a tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.