Wood ID?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy S.

Feeling the Heat
Oct 28, 2013
Southeastern, PA
Measures 19.2% as shown. Wondering what it is. Thanks!

Attachments

• wood 1.jpg
    wood 1.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 140
  • wood 2.jpg
    wood 2.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 135
Get as much as you can. Premium ash.
Moisture reading from the interior of a fresh split?

Yes - fresh split. It was a CL score from Sandy. Mostly pine (in background) but a nice smattering of Ash (thanks for the ID!).

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I love ash. I have a lot of it here, just got done hauling a blowdown to the splitter area with my wheelbarrow, uphill, sometimes 1 piece per load. I'm tired. I went and checked on an old growth cherry behind my garage about 3.5-4' at the base. Middle is all rotten and its leaning, just waiting for it to fall and I'll scrounge that also. Cut an 8" branch up and split it, MM says 20.3%. Into the rack it went :)

Edit- Hijacking my own thread since the pics were so easy to ID. On another matter, I was bucking windfall this afternoon. It was a relatively small tree... maybe 10" diameter. It had very smooth, gray bark and the wood is light-colored. I assume it is Maple. What interested me is that each cut had water literally flow out of the cut end. Anyone ever see that?

Last edited:
Edit- Hijacking my own thread since the pics were so easy to ID. On another matter, I was bucking windfall this afternoon. It was a relatively small tree... maybe 10" diameter. It had very smooth, gray bark and the wood is light-colored. I assume it is Maple. What interested me is that each cut had water literally flow out of the cut end. Anyone ever see that?
I've seen that on different species, but based on the bark description & time of year, Maple is a good guess.

There should be a pinhole, BB size in all the cut ends. Confirming Ash for sure. It is though.

Must have been wood from Sandy.

Reactions: Andy S.

Usually about this time of the year when you cut soft maple (which your description fits), it is common to see sap flowing. Wait another month and it will really be flowing. But fear not, it will still dry quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.