wood id?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nyny

Nov 2, 2014
ny
got tons of good wood but a roa 245.JPG 245.JPG 245.JPG d crew cut down some trees across the street and this stuff's been talking to me for weeks. finally got some. pretty heavy with kind of a sweet, non-maple scent to it

sorry bot the photos. pretty sure it's ash? if so theres a ton more to get.

Don't sit inside and type, get in the truck and GET IT !!!:eek: ;lol Yes, Ash........except for that skinnier long piece laying in the background-that's something else.

Don't sit inside and type, get in the truck and GET IT !!!:eek: ;lol Yes, Ash........except for that skinnier long piece laying in the background-that's something else.

was thinking ash but the growth rings are really wide and it's almost too easy to split, even around the crotches.

went and got more. prbably a cord or so. there are scroungers around now. they need it more than me. been two weeks just sitting there, now they.re all over it

All ash. I'll even go as far to state that the smoother shinier branch in the background is likely to be ash. The newer/smaller diameter growth on white ash has bark like that before it matures into the characteristic more deeply furrowed, tight diamond shaped bark.

Ash splits easy. Once you pop it it's straight easy splitting! Good score. Scored a nice load of ash a couple weeks ago when power company came through.

I'd guess Ash also, but the heartwood on any Ash I split wasn't dark. Everything else says Ash.

All ash. I'll even go as far to state that the smoother shinier branch in the background is likely to be ash. The newer/smaller diameter growth on white ash has bark like that before it matures into the characteristic more deeply furrowed, tight diamond shaped bark.

It could be.....just looks too reddish-colored bark to me when I magnified it to get a closer look, and it has the horizontal lines in it like Cherry and Birch do. It would be great if the OP could cut and split and post a picture of it on here so we can see just for kicks and giggles !

Reactions: TreePointer
Ash all day everyday.

The long skinny piece sure looks like cherry.

The "skinny" branch looks like a "water spout," i.e. what happens when an ash tree is topped and has a sudden growth spurt in reaction.

The grain and bark are my Ash to a T. The dark center isn't. What kind of Ash is it?

Ash splits easy. Once you pop it it's straight easy splitting! Good score. Scored a nice load of ash a couple weeks ago when power company came through.
Until you try a piece that has a branch or a crotch in the round. Ash me how I know.

I've never encountered an easy knot or crotch round of any sort. Noodle and pitch in the fire pit pile.

Status
Not open for further replies.