Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yes please do, I am very interested in what it is since you said it doesn't have any aroma, and Pine sure does! This is a baffler....
Today I had another load dropped and I asked the tree guy if he knew what kind of wood it was. He said that he believes it is some type of maple but not sure what type. He noted the weight and smell to say to say that makes him think its not pine and believes its maple.

The white wood with the way it splintered made me think of some of the boxelder (a type of malple) I have split; however, the bark is not typical for that tree. Can you post a picture of the butt end (round end) of a log?

The white wood with the way it splintered made me think of some of the boxelder (a type of malple) I have split; however, the bark is not typical for that tree. Can you post a picture of the butt end (round end) of a log?
Here is a pic with the end. Sorry, its been raining a lot here so its a pic of a wet soaked end. Its normally a bit lighter when dry.

IMG_2432.JPG

Can you post a picture of the bark of the latest split you showed? I still think it is Silver Maple but would like to see the bark on this new piece.

Zelkova wood has a deep orange-red heartwood, and it STINKS.

Does the OP still have access to buds from his tree ? leaves ? Is branching habit opposite or alternate ?

Does this look like Zelcova tree? I got 3 chords from a neighbor. The tree was 3' in diameter
Zelkova wood has a deep orange-red heartwood, and it STINKS.

Does the OP still have access to buds from his tree ? leaves ? Is branching habit opposite or alternate ?

Any idea if this is Zelkova/Keyaki tree. The base of the tree was approximately 3' in diameter...
IMG_20180215_102927.jpg IMG_20180215_102608.jpg IMG_20180215_102620.jpg

Wow....the white inside is like Silver Maple is here, but the bark looks a bit off. This is a good one!

Yeah, the wood looks like silver maple, but the bark looks like spruce. Spruce?