Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kavu

Jan 30, 2017
Long Island, NY
Not sure what this is. Did not notice any specific smell when i split it. What do you guys think it is? Thanks in advance!

IMG_2401.JPG

IMG_2402.JPG

Wow....the white inside is like Silver Maple is here, but the bark looks a bit off. This is a good one!

Looks like some sorta pine or evergreen.

Reactions: Chas0218
Pine family (I believe?). I have some here that actually looks identical. Not even sure where I got it? Burned nice after sitting a few years split in a forgotten pile.

Looks like Scotch pine

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
+1 on the pine or evergreen. The bark looks like the bark of pine trees in my back yard.

Last edited:
It does not smell or look like the normal pine i am used to seeing. Also, the weight is somewhere between oak and the pine i normally see. Makes me think its something else bc of that but you guys are probably right.

It does not smell or look like the normal pine i am used to seeing. Also, the weight is somewhere between oak and the pine i normally see. Makes me think its something else bc of that but you guys are probably right.
That's what I have been saying, if it was Pine it would certainly have that Pinesol smell, but it doesn't....the white splits look like Silver Maple to me, but the bark seems off. Is there someone or somewhere that you could take it locally that would be able to identify it, this is a good one and I as well as the rest I'm sure would like to know !

my first thought was silver maple

That's what I have been saying, if it was Pine it would certainly have that Pinesol smell, but it doesn't....the white splits look like Silver Maple to me, but the bark seems off. Is there someone or somewhere that you could take it locally that would be able to identify it, this is a good one and I as well as the rest I'm sure would like to know !
Going to see if i can find someone locally who can identify it. I am curious as well.

Looks like fir bark and fir is pretty heavy, one of the better softwoods.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
Going to see if i can find someone locally who can identify it. I am curious as well.
Yes please do, I am very interested in what it is since you said it doesn't have any aroma, and Pine sure does! This is a baffler....

This seems pretty close to the bark, yes?
WP_20170318_001.jpg

If it is, then it is pine or a variant of a pine of some sort.

WP_20170318_002.jpg

I think this is an ornamental, perhaps Japanese Zelkovia. Japanese Zelkovia is not rare as a planted tree, and the bark looks like the bark in the pics above. I don't remember what the wood inside of a zelkovia tree looks like

Bark looks like hemlock but I'm not familiar with NE trees.

I don't remember what the wood inside of a zelkovia tree looks like
Zelkova wood has a deep orange-red heartwood, and it STINKS.

Does the OP still have access to buds from his tree ? leaves ? Is branching habit opposite or alternate ?

Reactions: TreePointer
I think I have some of the same wood in my pile and a round I kept as a splitting block. I almost posted it for an ID too. Is the inner bark kind of Orangey in color?