Wood ID?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JSeery

Feeling the Heat
Feb 12, 2015
Irvington, NY
I'm pretty sure I know what this is, but wanted to submit to this group for confirmation. Not gonna say my guess, as I don't want to sway anyone with suggestion. What do you think?
IMG_0802.JPG
IMG_0800.JPG
IMG_0799.JPG

White ash

First 2 pics look like maple to me, standing tree looks like ash.

Reactions: Stinkpickle
First two pics are Soft Maple. Standing tree is different... and from pic I'd say it is Walnut.

Huh. All the pics are the same tree. I was thinking it was a youngish hickory of some type, but it sounds like the consensus might be ash. This was a storm damaged tree so I cut the trunk down to eye level to remove the damage. There are some smaller branches still on there which I assume will take off in the spring. Will have to check the leaves when that happens to be sure. Thanks for taking a look.

That's funny, it looks like a few different species there, the one split piece has a grain like Ash yet the piece to the left of it with that brown "stripe" down the middle looks like Soft Maple, the standing tree could be Ash or Walnut like nrford said, wow ! Do you have any unsplit rounds yet? If so, look on the flat cutside, if there is a tiny "pinhole" then I'd say it's Ash, if not I'd agree soft Maple. If it was hickory, which I doubt, it would be HEAVY and have a smell to it almost like cow manure, but either way it's good stuff and a good score !

Funny lately how many ID'S look like Ash OR Maple?!

Reactions: JSeery
Its box elder looks like maple, skin like ash but the red tinge gives it away. Box elder is in the maple family.

If it wasn't so darn cold and dark I'd go outside take pictures of some for you.

Edit: I manned up photo got white washed by the flash sadly... I've got better pieces that look exactly like yours and live trees with same bark. What area are you in?

26a1a8b7472205604a5629932856b856.jpg

Its box elder looks like maple, skin like ash but the red tinge gives it away. Box elder is in the maple family.

If it wasn't so darn cold and dark I'd go outside take pictures of some for you.

Edit: I manned up photo got white washed by the flash sadly... I've got better pieces that look exactly like yours and live trees with same bark. What area are you in?

View attachment 195756
I'm in southern NY (Westchester county). Boxelder sounds plausible. Will check out the leaves in the spring to confirm.

This one is spicy. I thought young shagbark based on the first pic, but the standing rules that out. I can see a little of the reason for boxelder, although the ones I my property have bark that is similar to ash, but with less X marking and more alligator skin-like. The grain and growth rings also look a little dense for boxelder as well. Could be an ash, but white and green don't flake out like that, especially in smaller branches. And the cambium layer is all wrong for ash. However, black and blue are diff and I'm not familiar with them. I'm going to stick with a hickory of some kind other than shaggy.

Update: turns out this one is hickory. Check out the leaves. Thanks for the help.

IMG_0930.JPG