Wood id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
my lucky day, saw free wood sign in neighborhood. Grabbed a truckload, hyperextended my thumb and called it quits for the evening. Wood looked like hard maple to me, not sure about the bark though. Tree was about 3 foot in diameter which was irregular shape, which made me think silver maple. Dead tree so no leaves.

Attachments

• DCDC3D3C-537E-40B2-8B0C-45DEEBB6F224.jpeg
    DCDC3D3C-537E-40B2-8B0C-45DEEBB6F224.jpeg
    195.3 KB · Views: 273
  • 1FC61428-0344-47C5-81FA-B47CB05CBEFC.jpeg
    1FC61428-0344-47C5-81FA-B47CB05CBEFC.jpeg
    238.6 KB · Views: 317
Were there any branches to check opposite or alternate branching? The bark does not look like any maple trees around me. Almost looks like the basswood I cut. Split some of it and post some pics.

No branches to see. What made it a valuable find was that it was all mostly manageable cut up. Will definitely get more over weekend, will have to tow splitter over because there a big pile of large rounds.

I will say the wood had a certain dense look and feel to it like oak does.

Doing a search, it is looking more and more lije basswood. Well, I do always need kindling.

It could be, from what I’ve read basswood is very heavy initially because it has a very high moisture content. Also the top of the bark ridges are typically flat unlike ash.

It could be Basswood like these fellas say, crack a round open and show us the grain inside, if it is smooth and white it's Basswood.

How long would you all figure basswood would take to dry? I’ll be putting this in the 2 winters from now stack but just curious.

If it is basswood, split and stacked with top cover it should be ready to burn in a year or so. Don't underestimate the value of softwood for those days you just need a fast hot fire to let the stove mass hold the place and let it burn out.

Photos look like basswood or ash to me.