Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RBrad

Jan 8, 2020
Northeast PA
Trying to identify what species this is. It’s been CSS for at least 3 years and is at %14 moisture content but it is rock hard and burns like iron! It’s definitely not ash and seems like it might be in the maple family. This was cut in Northeast PA.
C4DD73C6-9A81-4D5A-BAB5-EEC03C81287F.jpeg

F15B7066-64E0-40D8-BBBE-571AD0D813EA.jpeg

F3CE658B-C440-4BD1-9008-16BA212E10DF.jpeg

I'm not sure what it is but I burned some last night, I thought black locust at first but I dont think so.

It is not locust.
Here is one test. Are there bugs in the wood, to where there is fine powder sawdust all over it?
That would be hickory.

"fine powder sawdust all over it?
That would be hickory. "

This is one very good reason I am not a fan of hickory. I got some shag bark years ago - it turn into dust.

As to what the wood is -- could it be white oak ?

Thanks for the responses! I hadn't thought of Hickory, our property doesn't have much on it and what's there is usually Shagbark which Ive never cut. It did have some dust in the stacks...what critter creates it? Are they still there after its dry? More importantly can they infest the house?

"fine powder sawdust all over it?
That would be hickory. "

This is one very good reason I am not a fan of hickory. I got some shag bark years ago - it turn into dust.

As to what the wood is -- could it be white oak ?
thank you but its definitely not white oak. We have both red and white, this is nothing like them. I can't remember ever burning wood similar to this.

I hadn't thought of Hickory, our property doesn't have much on it and what's there is usually Shagbark which Ive never cut. It did have some dust in the stacks...what critter creates it? Are they still there after its dry? More importantly can they infest the house?
Are the splits very heavy? I'm assuming yes, if they "burn like iron." Could well be Hickory of some type.
I was recently going through a stack that wasn't covered too well, pitching a few splits and stacking/covering the rest. Some of the splits of Pignut Hickory had some bug damage like the second pic you posted, right side.
Powderpost beetles make the fine powder, but I don't know if those big holes are from them, or some other bug.
I'm not sure if they could attack your house, or if they vacate the wood when it dries. I haven't worried about 'em too much.

Looked some pics of Pignut online, almost certain that's it. I like its really long and hot burn time. Appreciate all the help!

Have loads of ash in the stacks and still in tree form and just about all we've been burning the last 4 years thanks to the EAB. This stuff is about 1/3 more dense and takes longer to light off even at %14MC. Also burns much hotter and longer than any ash I've had.

Thanks for the idea Woodsplitter: Rock maple is something I'll investigate as well. It would certainly live up to that name.

Looked some pics of Pignut online, almost certain that's it.
Pignut, Bitternut and Mockernut seem to be the most common Hickories, but what I've seen here is Pignut and Shagbark.
Here's a bark pic from a Piggy on the edge of the yard. The shading may be dark, since it's still kinda wet from rain. You can see the segmented look that the bark has.
Keep the Hickory well-covered. You'd think it would be durable, but it rots kinda quick if it keeps getting rained on..
20200125_141154.jpg 20200125_141104.jpg

What makes you say it’s definitely not ash?
Have loads of ash in the stacks and still in tree form and just about all we've been burning the last 4 years thanks to the EAB. This stuff is about 1/3 more dense and takes longer to light off even at %14MC. Also burns much hotter and longer than any ash I've had.
I can see how Ash would be guessed. I did it too, judging from your first pic. The split wood shown looked grainy and ridged, like an Ash split would look.
In the second pic though, the split faces looked smoother, and that bug-eaten split on the right..I could have sworn that was one I handled here within the last couple weeks when I cleaned up that stack I mentioned! ==c

Really looks like ash. The way the splits look, the missing bark from woodpeckers...

It's not hickory, does look like ash.

Ash, have never seen any hickory that split that clean...

It does when the rounds are more seasoned. I’m currently burning hickory I cut last year. The rounds were cut short and not that wide. CSSC. The rounds I’m splitting for next year are much cleaner splits.

What makes you say it’s definitely not ash?
I have some that looks exactly like that and its not ash but trying to identify through pictures is harder than seeing it in person. I assumed the stuff I have is some kind of hickory, there are several species, because its heavy when seasoned and burns like hickory.