Wood ID?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

stoveliker

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2019
Long Island NY
I had a wheelbarrow of this wood in my stacks this year. This is the last of it.
It has a purple hue.

Anybody any ideas for what this is? Small tree, obviously.

IMG_20230126_203610601.jpg

The inside makes me think of maple, but the color and bark do not.

I thought of that, but the dogwood I have burned was always quite light in color, without any hint of purple.

(Redbud?)

That might be it, though!

No mention of purple in the wood, but the leaves are purplish when young, they say.

No thorns on the wood though.

How dense is it? Was it an ornamental? I’d have thought dogwood too, but if it came from a yard it could be something weird like a butterfly bush that was trimmed into a tree shape and fed massive amounts of fertilizer.

It feels like maple in density (when dry, now, I don't remember how it felt when wet). It split easily, which is a surprise for a small, ornamental yard tree that I think this was.

It feels like maple in density (when dry, now, I don't remember how it felt when wet). It split easily, which is a surprise for a small, ornamental yard tree that I think this was.
redbud maybe?
I don't think so, Redbud is really heavy, and doesn't split real easy. Luckily it is many times small enough where I don't have to split it.

Reactions: stoveliker
I have maple that looks like that.

It burns just fine ;)

That is true. I had two fireboxes full of it, and it will contained quite some BTUs.

Dogwood often has a pink/purple hue, but I've also seen some that looks white. I'm not seeing the "purple" in the posted pic.
The bark does look like Dogwood. Maybe the heft is close enough to hard Maple...

I thought of that, but the dogwood I have burned was always quite light in color, without any hint of purple.

(Redbud?)
I’ve seen it pink the dark stains more purple when wet.

Ok. Then maybe it's dogwood after all.

Looks like DW to me.

Definitely not redbud (heartwood and bark all wrong).
+1 for dogwood.

Could it be crabapple? Red-leaved varieties of crabapple will give you a pinkish or purplish hue when freshly cut or split and the bark would fit.

Could it be crabapple? Red-leaved varieties of crabapple will give you a pinkish or purplish hue when freshly cut or split and the bark would fit.
Could be, based on images I found.

From those three it looks most like the crabapple. I can't smell it when it burns, though; what comes out of the chimney has gone thru the cat, and that changes smells considerably from "normal smoke".

Reactions: EbS-P