Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Apr 27, 2015
Delaware
I’ve looked at many wood ID threads and can’t find a match for this one… it’s split and stacked going to get burned but just curious as to what it is…

IMG_5092.jpeg IMG_5090.jpeg IMG_5091.jpeg IMG_5089.jpeg

IMO Maple, the split you are showing is called "spalting" its the early stages of rot, fungi are moving in eating some of the BTU content. It is still good wood but needs to be split, and put under cover. Once the wood is dry any additional rot will be stopped.

Some folks take advantage of the spalting to make decorative wood products.

Reactions: stoveliker
I thought it was maple until I opened it up. What you’re saying makes good sense. Thanks you!

I scrounched some mulberry years ago and it was yellow when split but quickly turned brown similar to the picture. My recollection was that it was decent firewood