wood id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not the BL I am familiar with, but it does have similarities. Its too dark, but has the same basic structure. Show us some more bark pictures. BL is greenish yellow when first cut, then turns tan in the sun in a couple of weeks. Your colors just don't make sense to me unless they are saturated from sitting in water.

Adios Pantalones said:
The bark doesn't look like BL, and osage doesn't grow there.

Bl without hedge thats a penalty shot! :lol:

OK... not persimmon. Just looked that up and the bark ain't even close. But mulberry bark looks like that, so I'm putting down two bucks on mulberry to win.

Battenkiller said:
OK... not persimmon. Just looked that up and the bark ain't even close. But ;-) mulberry bark looks like that, so I'm putting down two bucks on mulberry to win.

Got 50.00 to show! My tri bl hedge mulberry....lol

Ok its all greenish yellow when I resplit it looks like the lighter pieces...
Anyone have a picture of honey locust splits?
It's def a locust, remember it had thorns and I believe its just that wet... Couple days will show...

iceman said:
Ok its all greenish yellow when I resplit it looks like the lighter pieces...
Anyone have a picture of honey locust splits?
It's def a locust, remember it had thorns and I believe its just that wet... Couple days will show...

Its bl

Adios Pantalones said:
smokinjay said:
lukem said:
I was thinking black locust before I read your post...just looking at the pictures. Still say BL...just weathered.

I got 3 cords stacked if thats bl it will show in a couple days. Bl is as gray as can...Unless that has been setting in standing water for awhile.

You're right- BL starts out a sickly greenish yellow and gets gray. Mulberry does what osage does to some degree and gets a richer color as it ages. Those thick rings look like mulberry as well. I dunno, could be a lot of other things.
In my experience BL starts out a sickly greenish color, turns to a burnt orange color (like in the photos) when exposed to air for several weeks, then very slowly turns to gray as it seasons.

I think it's BL.

Status
Not open for further replies.