Wood Identification Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Garbanzo62

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2022
Connecticut
wood.jpg

Can I get some assistance on identifying this type of wood. It is from dead tree that the top section broke off. Some of the piece have no bark left on them. There are a few similar trees that are Dead Standing. I'm guessing about 80 ft tall. There appears to be bug damage under the bark. Thinking possibly Ash? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Those squiggly lines and the word dead tell me ash. Not sure what type of ash tree though. The bark doesnt look exactly like mine. Maybe green ash?

I should add, Im terrible at identifying trees. It just similar to mine but not exactly. I still have one going strong though! I did that expensive injection on one tree that I didnt want to lose, and that was oh I bet 5 years ago. I was told I would need to do it once a year MAYBE every other year but if not I would lose the tree. There arent many ash trees left in my area. We lost almost all of them. Interesting though, there are still some. Some were hit and lived, but some were completely left alone.

Those squiggly lines and the word dead tell me ash. Not sure what type of ash tree though. The bark doesnt look exactly like mine. Maybe green ash?
Thanks. It is is a swampy area which Green Ash likes. Going to cut down/up the the remaining trunk sections this weekend.

I am probably wrong but it looks like American Elm to me
See how it splits!

This is the other trunk still standing with a few dead trees around it.. (it is a swampy area)IMG_0289[1].JPG

Here is another that is dead but still standing

IMG_0290[1].JPG

That's interesting. Definitely looks like my ash trees sans tiny holes everywhere that woodpeckers go to extract the blue devils

From the bark in the first standing tree pic I’d say white ash.

I am probably wrong but it looks like American Elm to me
See how it splits!
Split right down the middle with maul. Moisture meter read around 37%

IMG_0291[1].JPG

looks like the elm that i just took down last year and the bark looks like another one that has to come down because it's standing dead