Wood insert advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kjk05006

Jun 11, 2020
Wilbraham, MA
Hi all,

First-time poster to the board.

We are redoing our living room with a new stone veneer to the fireplace. We currently have a Nashua insert that is 30+ years old. We would like to update to something more modern. We do not burn primarily as a heating source. We like to have a fire to supplement the room and enjoy a few times a week.

For our new update, we would prefer something with a large viewing area and flush mount.

We have looked at a few options but honestly, we are pretty lost.

Our first question is catalytic/hybrid vs noncatalytic? Are the catalytic/hybrid stoves harder to operate than a non-catalytic stove?

The stoves our local dealers have that we liked in order from cheapest to most expensive are:
- Enerzone Destination 2.7-i
- Quadra-Fire Expedition II
- Green Mountain GMi 70
- Vermont Castings Montpellier II
- Travis Industries (Lopi) Large arched

What are your thoughts and suggestions? Thank you

Welcome to the forums !!!

I cannot input on your stove choices, but I can tell you that, from my experience, install new insert first, then reface. What a mess I had :)

Good luck in your journey !

Keep it simple, more parts more to fail, more maintenance. The Enerzone will do the job well. Put the savings into a good quality insulated stainless liner.