Wood insert liner cap options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JonH

Feb 15, 2022
Eastern NC
I have never had an insert before and I want to do as much research before I install and I have some questions. I am wondering if it's possible or even a thing to not use the little mushroom cap looking chimney liner cap that comes with the liner kits. Some of them look ok, but some look ugly to me and I'd much rather have the typical chimney cap look such as a square/rectangular one with a flat top and stainless mesh on the side. My dealer/installer said we could use the liner kit and attach liner to the top using the included top plate, but instead of attaching the included cap use the square one. I'm hoping someone can say yeah it's a non-issue and people do it all the time. I'm 95% sure I want the Lopi large flush if that makes a difference and I have a very tall chimney and can't afford anymore draft, will the different cap increase/decrease draft? Obviously performance and safety are first, but I'd like to make it look as good as possible in the process. I'm going to try to include some pictures. Thanks in advance for any advice, this forum has helped me in my process of shopping for a wood insert and I can't thank y'all enough.
chimney liner kit cap.jpg

1646413701635.png

I wanted the same thing but my dealer said they couldn't do it. I'm not sure why not, but they painted the cap that came with the liner kit black, which was acceptable to me

Reactions: JonH
It should be ok as long as the liner is securely clamped in at the top plate.

Reactions: JonH
I switched to the cap you have in the first pic I have a tall chimney it seemed to help with wind issues.