Wood Insert Recommendation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KeithMarchand

Apr 22, 2021
Groton, MA
We are repurposing our 1972 Jotul 118 and looking to add some ambiance to our living space. We have a pretty unique fire place that is is the centerpiece of our open living space at ~8 ft wide x floor to ceiling (vaulted ceiling at that which is approx 20 ft high) made of old Brick in the late 1940's. The fireplace opening for this beast is 4Ft wide by 30 inches and is plenty deep. Our open concept living space is 40x20, again with vaulted ceilings and tons of glass (straight in front of fireplace is 18 ft x 7 ft glass with many other windows in the space.
The fire is not primary heating source as we have Geo Thermal, so it is mostly used for comfort heat and again ambiance. However considering Geo Thermal requires power, the fire becomes primary heating source in the case of a power outage so planning for the worst I'd like to maximize BTU output.
Considering all this I'm curious what options readers on this forum might recommend given this info.
Thanks in Advance

We are repurposing our 1972 Jotul 118 and looking to add some ambiance to our living space. We have a pretty unique fire place that is is the centerpiece of our open living space at ~8 ft wide x floor to ceiling (vaulted ceiling at that which is approx 20 ft high) made of old Brick in the late 1940's. The fireplace opening for this beast is 4Ft wide by 30 inches and is plenty deep. Our open concept living space is 40x20, again with vaulted ceilings and tons of glass (straight in front of fireplace is 18 ft x 7 ft glass with many other windows in the space.
The fire is not primary heating source as we have Geo Thermal, so it is mostly used for comfort heat and again ambiance. However considering Geo Thermal requires power, the fire becomes primary heating source in the case of a power outage so planning for the worst I'd like to maximize BTU output.
Considering all this I'm curious what options readers on this forum might recommend given this info.
Thanks in Advance
With a firebox that large I would be looking at freestanding stoves not inserts. There just aren't any inserts large enough to look right in that opening

Reactions: EbS-P
Do you want more modern or classic styling?

With a firebox that large I would be looking at freestanding stoves not inserts. There just aren't any inserts large enough to look right in that opening
Clearance for the 30" lintel height will have to be factored in. A large insert could be installed without the surround or with a custom one.

Clearance for the 30" lintel height will have to be factored in. A large insert could be installed without the surround or with a custom one.
True that is fairly low

Interesting we hadn't considered free standing. Looking online something like this would be an option, no legs to help with height concern and a large glass opening which is desired for ambiance. Found this on a UK site (https://www.csfireplaces.co.uk/woodburner-stoves-and-fires-gallery/) anyone install a unit like this that you'd recommend?
Also with free standing units, are there any that have optional legs? I'm seeing on Jotul options for shorter legs on some units?

Attachments

• Stove no legs.PNG
    Stove no legs.PNG
    1,007 KB · Views: 227
Folks, here is an image of my current setup, the height looks like more than 30, I'm on vacation at the moment so the 30 was from memory, maybe it was 36? I'll measure again when I get home and post if there is any difference.

Attachments

• 20210326_125247.jpg
    20210326_125247.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 197
Take a look at the MF Fire Nova 2.

That looks like a pretty shallow fireplace, so I am not sure there is the depth needed to fit it. We need some accurate measurements.

Would a rear-vented freestanding stove on the floor where the 118 sits work?

Whatever you do you will need quite a bit more hearth as well

All, finally captured actual dims. Please review attached and if you have further recommendations they would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• 20210428_210200.jpg
    20210428_210200.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 150
That helps. Looks are deceiving, the camera distorted the depth. There is enough wiggle room as long as the stove fits under the lintel. This will include almost all inserts but few freestanding stoves. The MF Fire Nova 2 is 26.5 high.

So after much consideration we have decided to switch to gas. This eliminates the need for a hearth and provides an immediate on/off capability that is much needed given the parameters of our main heating system (geothermal) and zoning setup. The main purpose of this stove is ambiance and secondary "comfort" heat in our main living space so high BTU output is not a super high priority.
We also have decided a free standing unit makes more sense than the insert due to the curved face of the firebox, thanks bholler for that excellent idea.
Given our firebox is ~48 Wide x 30 High we are very interested in a unit with a similar aspect ratio. Something like the image I added in my 4/22 post would be ideal but all the options I'm seeing online that have that ratio seem to be UK or European based companies, which is fine, but I'm not seeing availability in the US.
Given these new parameters can anyone recommend some options for us?
Thanks in advance

This forum is for wood burners. Start a new post in the It's a Gas forum for suggestions.