Wood insert w/ tile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scobo1979

Jan 28, 2008
Philadelphia pa
I'm getting ready to install my insert in the next week or so and i am going to be installing new tile work. Im just checking on what you guys think as far as the hearth area goes. I poured a 4 inch thick slab as a base and was going to lay down hardybacker on thinset then I would thinset the tile on top. I wanted to run the tile a little bit under the insert an inch or two to make everything look sound and tite. I had found a few globs of dryed up premixed thinset from the last tile job and decied to try to burn it with a lighter. Well it lit up without any problem so now I am concered about what to do next. So what have you guys used in the past to set the tile? Should I be worried? Does it get hot under the insert? Any help in answering any of the questions will be great!!

Label states "premixed thin-set mortar" The dried up glob is still flexable so that must have an additive of some sort to prevent tiles from cracking w/ expantion. Beleve it or not but the lable states that it is nonflamable. Does any one know what product should be used around high temps?

It probably won't be an issue. What is the insert? What are it's hearth requirements?

I agree with BeGreen.

Don't think it really is an issue.

May not have been fully cured. You could have been burning the latex. However, I doubt the tiles will be subject to open flame as you are burning inside an insert.

J.P.

Hearth combutable req. are 12 from the top to trim, 20 from top to mantle, 8 from side to trim. The tile will be closer than all of these specs so the tuck behind the surround/ face plate.
BeGreen said:
It probably won't be an issue. What is the insert? What are it's hearth requirements?

Status
Not open for further replies.