Wood Master

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Joncombat

Dec 28, 2018
Danbury ct
I have been searching for a wood boiler for a while. I need to install an indoor epa certified unit because of city regulations. I am down to two (2) units a Wood Master Cleanfire 700 and the Polar G3. Both units can be installed indoors (UL certified) and will meet my BTU needs. I cannot find much online about the Polar G3, just that I think they used to be Wood Doctor and went bankrupt. Woodmaster has been around since 1989. Does anyone have experience with any of these models or with the manufacturers? How are the product warranty, reliability, customer service, parts availability???

Model BTU/hr max Firebox Volume wood length Water Storage Price
CleanFire 700 245,000 23 cubic feet 26" 330 gallons $12,500
Polar G3 200,000 12.7 cubic feet 27" 250 gallons $12,900

I have been searching for a wood boiler for a while. I need to install an indoor epa certified unit because of city regulations. I am down to two (2) units a Wood Master Cleanfire 700 and the Polar G3. Both units can be installed indoors (UL certified) and will meet my BTU needs. I cannot find much online about the Polar G3, just that I think they used to be Wood Doctor and went bankrupt. Woodmaster has been around since 1989. Does anyone have experience with any of these models or with the manufacturers? How are the product warranty, reliability, customer service, parts availability???

Model BTU/hr max Firebox Volume wood length Water Storage Price
CleanFire 700 245,000 23 cubic feet 26" 330 gallons $12,500
Polar G3 200,000 12.7 cubic feet 27" 250 gallons $12,900

The Wood Master is owned by and rebranded Central Boiler Edge.

Polar Furnace is based off the Froling European design. Portage&Main owns them now. They have been lacking advertising and product exposure. That will most likely change with the new tax credit out.

You do not want a WoodMaster CF/Central Boiler Edge installed inside a closed building. The smoke that exits the door when loading is unbearable. (The forced air blower makes it even worse)
If you do some research, CentralBoiler has had very bad warranty in the last 5-10 years.

The only Outdoor/Indoor boilers meant for indoor installation are Polar G-Class and the Heatmaster.
I have owned both and can break it down to say the Polar has a better smoke extraction system.

I would consider additional thermal storage for any indoor wood boiler, regardless of how much water it holds.

I would consider additional thermal storage for any indoor wood boiler, regardless of how much water it holds.

Next week or this weekend when I get time I'll post a video of my setup. I have been very happy so far.

I really like the idea of storing enough heat for 24 hours...1000-1500 gallon Thermal storage... but I personally don't want to dedicate a large indoor space that I pay property tax on to maybe gain a bit of efficiency? But I guess if money or space wasn't an option I'd do it.

Down the road I do plan on putting multiple 55+ gallon water drums in the Greenhouse that has hot water coils running through them to act as a heat sink at night time to even the curve....

Reactions: sloeffle
Reading articles on this forum and others you get many conflicting opinions about products, warranties and Customer service. I do not see many articles ore reviews about Polar furnaces. I compared their warranty and product specs to the cleanfire and the cleanfire came out ahead. I will keep searching for info on both units or if another option comes up. I am looking for 170-200+Kbtu's, 250+ gallons of water storage, and indoor installation. The Garn looked interesting but it is an open system that pisses steam everywhere, this unit will be installed close to some neighbors. The search continues!

I compared their warranty and product specs to the cleanfire and the cleanfire came out ahead.

Just because a company writes down a good warranty... doesn't mean they will come good for it.

Alot of warranty claims are upto the company's discretion, usually backed with loopholes or other tactics. Might be better off doing a google search then only limiting to this fourm.

I'm pretty sure Woodmaster/Central Boiler is not indoor rated.
And I agree, warranty is what you actually do, not what's on paper. That goes for the manufacturer and dealer.

Reactions: Brokenstone
I'm pretty sure Woodmaster/Central Boiler is not indoor rated.
And I agree, warranty is what you actually do, not what's on paper. That goes for the manufacturer and dealer.
I need to make a correction. The unit I was looking at is a HeatMaster G7000, not the woodMaster. It is rated for indoor use. The woodmaster is not. Any feedback on HeatMaster?

Reactions: SpaceBus
I need to make a correction. The unit I was looking at is a HeatMaster G7000, not the woodMaster. It is rated for indoor use. The woodmaster is not. Any feedback on HeatMaster?
I'm burning a G7000 on my house heating it and a couple of small buildings in the mountains of VA. It's a workhorse, I heat about 3700 sq ft and it could do double that I think. But we're not quite as cold as farther north.
Mine is outside, I think if it's indoors you'd want to load it when it burns down to coals, the smoke bypass works fairly well but some smoke can slip out the door if there's a lot of wood in it.
The factory damper settings I've found to be a bit low, I had a bit of creosote in my tubes and the turbulators dragged, I bumped the top air up a bit and it cleaned right out. Super clean burning efficient unit. Exhaust temps are much lower than the old G series.

I'm burning a G7000 on my house heating it and a couple of small buildings in the mountains of VA. It's a workhorse, I heat about 3700 sq ft and it could do double that I think. But we're not quite as cold as farther north.
Mine is outside, I think if it's indoors you'd want to load it when it burns down to coals, the smoke bypass works fairly well but some smoke can slip out the door if there's a lot of wood in it.
The factory damper settings I've found to be a bit low, I had a bit of creosote in my tubes and the turbulators dragged, I bumped the top air up a bit and it cleaned right out. Super clean burning efficient unit. Exhaust temps are much lower than the old G series.
Are you using any additional thermal storage?

Has anyone have experience with Crown Royal boilers? The EPA website has a limited amount of units that will meet my BTU needs, and have a 75% or greater efficiency for the tax credit. I found a crown royal 7400ID that may work if it is a reliable unit and the company supports its customers.

Well I found out that Crown Royal does not make the indoor version of the 7400 so It looks like I might be purchasing a Polar G3. I just do no the company history, reliability, and customer service history for this company. the internet does not have many home videos or articles on it. It is a very expensive purchase and do not want a lemon!

I know my brother had looked at the Polar's and was enamored with them after seeing them and talking with the dealer at a local show a couple years ago...seems we have a dealer 1/2 hr from here...

Reactions: Case1030
My options are limited for my application and do not want to make a poor decision based on the few models that will meet my requirements . I wish other manufacturers would certify their outdoor boilers for indoor use. This would increase their customer base.

Not seeing any bad reviews is a good sign. Most happy owners don't talk about their stuff, usually just people that had a bad experience.

I checked the EPA website, the G7000 is 70% efficient. I do not believe it is eligible for the 26% tax incentive program. Damn! 4K+ in lost savings!
I'm researching Heatmaster also. I spoke to a dealer last night and their G4000 was approved 2 weeks ago but is not published on EPA list as of last night. The G7000 will be tested soon and they expect to be delivering EPA certified units this summer. Find your local dealer and call him.

Reactions: brenndatomu
I'm researching Heatmaster also. I spoke to a dealer last night and their G4000 was approved 2 weeks ago but is not published on EPA list as of last night. The G7000 will be tested soon and they expect to be delivering EPA certified units this summer. Find your local dealer and call him.
The G7000 is epa listed, the issue is the efficiency is 70% so I will not get the 26% tax credit.

I know my brother had looked at the Polar's and was enamored with them after seeing them and talking with the dealer at a local show a couple years ago...seems we have a dealer 1/2 hr from here...
Not seeing any bad reviews is a good sign. Most happy owners don't talk about their stuff, usually just people that had a bad experience.
I wish they would do more videos and advertising. They have a really good product... I realize not hearing much is a good thing but alot of customers will miss out probably not even hear about Polar.

That nearly happened to me... didn't even know Polar existed until I saw a guy on Facebook mentioned them. After I saw how slick and well finished the exterior looked among other interesting areas, I had to do more research.

Once you see one in person you will know... the attention to detail and knowing nothing has changed on them in a decade and pass the current EPA emissions and 26% rebate says alot. (Some manufacturers have gone through multiple revisions)

Tbh Froling deserves a big thumbs up because that's what I see it basically as...

Every brand has its +and -. In Polars case it's not having adequate exposure. Hopefully that changes.

And if your serious about indoor install. You will have to compare the smoke extraction... anything less gets to be a PITA fast!

Last edited:
I sent heatmaster corporate a message asking about the efficiency and epa standards and if they are retesting. Waiting on an answer. I have a lot of prep work to do to install a wood boiler. I need to decide an a model to determine the installation location and clearances required for the unit. Then trenching for pex/electrical, installing the chimney through the roof and insulation/sheetrock. It will be a busy Spring/Summer.

The Garn looked interesting but it is an open system that pisses steam everywhere, this unit will be installed close to some neighbors. !

My Garn 2000 has white smoke (steam) coming out the chimney for the first 10-15 minutes of the burn depending on outdoor temperature. This is moisture from the wood- not related to it being an open system.

For the last two weeks I am down to one fire every other day, (wagon of wood). I'm in Rhode Island , so similar climate. Thermal storage, Outdoor Reset and not heating domestic hot water is the way to go.

I typically burn at night when I get home from work- neighbors can't see steam in the dark.

Reactions: PA Mountain Man