Wood moisture meter recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bjorn773

Sep 12, 2007
Rockford, Illinois
The more I hang around this site, the more I read about the importance of a moisture meter. I guess I've been running blind for the past several years. I didn't have a stove or flue thermometer(have both now). Evidently, I don't really know how dry my wood is either. I has all been seasoned for a minimum of one year, but if I understand correctly that does not necessarily mean it's dry. So, any insight on these moisture meters and what brand/model may be recommended will be appreciated.

Probably a few threads on this. I bought mine off of eBay - I don't think HF had one at the time. Also mentioned before - make sure you measure on a freshly cut or split surface.

Attachments

• moisturemeter.jpg
    moisturemeter.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 469
Thanks, I had no idea HF had them. So to properly check seasoned wood, I need to cut a piece open to be accurate?

I don't want to stir this up any more that it already is, but why do you need a moisture meter to burn wood????? It's either dry (not hissing, not bubbling out the end, not popping) or it's not. I like gadgets as much as the next person, but I'll save the $$$ for another toy.

My_3_Girls said:
I don't want to stir this up any more that it already is, but why do you need a moisture meter to burn wood????? It's either dry (not hissing, not bubbling out the end, not popping) or it's not. I like gadgets as much as the next person, but I'll save the $$$ for another toy.

Perhaps to evaluate your stacks of wood before the burning season starts, to see which are dryest and which need more time?

My_3_Girls said:

Those of us in the gasifier world need to know. These units will burn dang near anything, but they're kinda sensitive to moisture content, especially at startup.

Besides - half the reason for doing this is to justify more toys, isn't it?

and its $20

what other more beneficial toy for woodburning will $20 buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.