Wood Moisture on Resplit ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 27, 2012
New York
Hello Everyone,

In an earlier thread I mentioned that I had a large number of rounds that have been stacked for about a year, and in some cases over 18 months. The wood varies, mostly cherry, but a lot of cedar, mulberry, oak, and maple. After splitting the rounds, the moisture would range anywhere from 15% - 30%. Anything below 20% I've been burning and I revisit the other wood from time to time. My question is, If I re-split a log, and the moisture is like 23%, how long do you usually wait before stuffing this in the stove? Some of the splits are too small to split again (although I often do try... and miss). If I go back to the split in a few days with moisture meter the surface will read around 19 - 20%, but I'm not sure whether to trust that.

Any thoughts on this?

Simply stated...Don't trust surface measurements unless it is a fresh split. The surface can dry of moisture in a short period of time. The interior won't.

Hello Everyone,

In an earlier thread I mentioned that I had a large number of rounds that have been stacked for about a year, and in some cases over 18 months. The wood varies, mostly cherry, but a lot of cedar, mulberry, oak, and maple. After splitting the rounds, the moisture would range anywhere from 15% - 30%. Anything below 20% I've been burning and I revisit the other wood from time to time. My question is, If I re-split a log, and the moisture is like 23%, how long do you usually wait before stuffing this in the stove? Some of the splits are too small to split again (although I often do try... and miss). If I go back to the split in a few days with moisture meter the surface will read around 19 - 20%, but I'm not sure whether to trust that.

Any thoughts on this?

Yes. Get on the 3 year plan. Don't worry about moisture content. The benefits of the 3 year plan are tremendous.

Status
Not open for further replies.