Wood or Gas Insert for basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tsduke

Oct 10, 2015
Iowa
We are trying to decide between the two inserts for a 2nd unit. We bought the house exactly 1 year ago that had 2 open masonry fireplaces. One in the main level living room and another right below it in the basement. Shortly after moving in we installed a Mendota Full View on the main level. Love the unit, heats well and looks nice.

Now we want to put a insert in the basement. Considering another gas insert or a PE Super or PE Summit. The basement family room is about 25 x 15 that does L around off that some. My son also has a bedroom off the family room that we may or may not heat some. There is also a fairly open staircase to the main level with the door removed.

Will either provide much heat up the stairs to main level? I know with the open masonry fireplace that is left in basement not, all it does is drop my thermostat on main level. (I under stand why) I'm not trying to heat the whole home, but just wondering if one or the other will provide more heat up the stairs. Some rising heat would be nice. I know the PE inserts won't draw nearly the combustion air from the inside as the open fireplace, but wonder if the draw is does pull would prevent rising heat up the stairs.

I don't cut my own wood so either option I'd my buying our fuel source.

Thanks in advance!

Yes, either will provide some heat to upstairs. Will it be enough to heat the house when it's zero outside? Maybe, but probably not. One variable will be how well the house is sealed and insulated. Second will be floor plans. But you will still get some benefit of heat and a nice fire view. If the basement is fully insulated the effectiveness will be greater.

And welcome to hearth.com.

Thanks. Basement is mostly insulated, but at varying amounts. The finished rooms have 2-4 styro. I'm guess mostly 2" in the family, but it's hard to tell when it's already finished. It's definitely got some The unfinished rooms I just put a total of R18 in them to save some heat loss. Main level ranch is a 2x4 construction and is insulated quite well for a early 60's house.

The main family room down there is low 60's in the dead of winter with a vent or 2 open. There are no cold air returns down there.

All I know is these open masonry fireplace might as well be a dvd playing a fire on my TV. It's only providing warmth right up next to it unless it's really stoked, but is always pulling all my warm air from main level down the stairs.

Decisions....decisions.

Pacific Energy Super is on order. The Summit was a little tight vertically and the installer said it would be tough.

Now time to get some more wood. Unfortunately I'll have to buy some this year. Recovering from 2 back surgeries this year and the wife wouldn't let me cut much of my own.

Congrats! I also have the Super and love it. Feed it dry wood and you will surely be happy with its performance. Speaking of wood: Have you inquired about the internal moisture content of the wood you are buying? To get it below 20% it usually needs to be split and then stacked for 2 to 3 years in a sunny and windy spot. Most firewood sellers don't have the time and space to do that. It will be worthwhile to get a moisture meter and to test some of the wood upon delivery. Split a few pieces in half and press the pins of the meter in the center of the fresh surface. That reading should be below 20% if you want to burn it this winter. Otherwise, you may have to buy compressed wood logs like Envi-blocks or BioBricks to at least supplement your wood.

The wood source I have used when needed has been pretty good and visually the wood usually looks seasoned enough, but I do have a meter coming today to be sure. I also have some soft maple I took down in my yard. While not the best it was free.

Pix or it didn't happen, and how about some thoughts on how the basement heating is working?

Great insert, it should keep your family warm for many years to come.

6ed3244c2f6eb5738520da43d386d25c.jpg

It's not real cold out yet but it maintain temp upstairs with small fire. Will see how it is when temps drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.