Wood or Pellet Stove, vented into existing pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JmanTaylor

Apr 6, 2016
Southwest VA
Looking at venting either a wood or pellet stove into an existing flue. I have a Majestic MBU 36 Factory Built fireplace with double wall class a sk83 8" pipe running through a chase. Wood stove is pretty small.... https://www.usstove.com/product/2000-sq-ft-wood-stove-2/ and I know pellet stoves vent at a much lower temp.
The wood stove outlet is 6" and the pellet is 3" to my existing 8" pipe.
Are either of these doable without adding a lining?

Looking at venting either a wood or pellet stove into an existing flue. I have a Majestic MBU 36 Factory Built fireplace with double wall class a sk83 8" pipe running through a chase. Wood stove is pretty small.... https://www.usstove.com/product/2000-sq-ft-wood-stove-2/ and I know pellet stoves vent at a much lower temp.
The wood stove outlet is 6" and the pellet is 3" to my existing 8" pipe.
Are either of these doable without adding a lining?
No it is not rated for a high enough temperature for a stove and is way to large for a pellet stove

Reactions: JmanTaylor
I thought it was acceptable to vent a pellet stove into class a chimney with an adapter. I thought “way too large “ doesn’t apply in that situation since a pellet stove is power-vented. I’ve seen adapters for such an application. I think. Could be wrong.

I thought it was acceptable to vent a pellet stove into class a chimney with an adapter. I thought “way too large “ doesn’t apply in that situation since a pellet stove is power-vented. I’ve seen adapters for such an application. I think. Could be wrong.

Yes, you’re right. Many good pellet stoves allow this. Go to the pellet room for advice on hooking pellet stoves to class a chimney pipe.

Yes, you’re right. Many good pellet stoves allow this. Go to the pellet room for advice on hooking pellet stoves to class a chimney pipe.
Yes some allow it and yes some will work. But they will not work as well as they could

So I got this back from EFirePlaceStore on the piping I have. Majestic SK83.
"All class A chimneys are test at 1700 degrees with short bursts to 2100. That is an industry standard on all Class A as per UL standards."
Is that suitable for a small wood stove?
Sorry to be thick headed. Just trying to flush out all my options before moving forward. Also switched the pellet question to the pellet side.

So I got this back from EFirePlaceStore on the piping I have. Majestic SK83.
"All class A chimneys are test at 1700 degrees with short bursts to 2100. That is an industry standard on all Class A as per UL standards."
Is that suitable for a small wood stove?
Sorry to be thick headed. Just trying to flush out all my options before moving forward. Also switched the pellet question to the pellet side.
The information they supplied you with is not accurate at all. There are 2 listings for chimney pipe. Ul 103 ht and ul 127.

Both are tested at 1000 degrees continuous. But 103 ht pipe is tested to 2100 intermittent and 127 is 1700 intermittent. I can't find the listing for your majestic pipe must it is clearly labeled for use with specified majestic fireplaces. And I have never seen a double wall uninsulated 103 ht chimney.

You need to get the pipe specs from the manufacturer not a retailer

This is Monnesen SK8 chimney pipe rate UL 127/ULC S610. It is not HT rated and not for wood stove use. You could run a 4" pellet vent liner up to the top of it.

This is Monnesen SK8 chimney pipe rate UL 127/ULC S610. It is not HT rated and not for wood stove use. You could run a 4" pellet vent liner up to the top of it.
Thanks I was sure of that from what it looked like but I couldn't find the specs