Wood Pellet Storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

skives19

Oct 23, 2016
Michigan
I have a question about storing wood pellets. I live in Northern Lower Michigan and we bought 4 ton of pellets back in the end of September. We stored 1 ton in our basement and 3 ton in our garage uncovered. My question is, is it ok to store them in my garage during the late fall, winter months uncovered while I use them? Thing is I have noticed that the ones in the garage seem to be of worse quality than I remember from last year (same brand as last year). The ash seems more dirty like black and more soft type clunkers in the fire pot.

Could it be a bad batch of wood pellets or did I store them wrong by having them in the garage. By the way they are on pallets in the garage. They are also GreenWay brand.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Storing in the garage should be fine. I had 6 tons
sitting outside under a tarp at the start of the season.
1.5 Tons were left over from LAST winter & that
pallet is almost done. I had no problems with any of it...

Winter tends to be dry and the storage you describe should be no problem at all. I keep mine in a shed directly on the wood floor with no issues.
Keep them dry and they will be fine.

Bill

I have a question about storing wood pellets. I live in Northern Lower Michigan and we bought 4 ton of pellets back in the end of September. We stored 1 ton in our basement and 3 ton in our garage uncovered. My question is, is it ok to store them in my garage during the late fall, winter months uncovered while I use them? Thing is I have noticed that the ones in the garage seem to be of worse quality than I remember from last year (same brand as last year). The ash seems more dirty like black and more soft type clunkers in the fire pot.

Could it be a bad batch of wood pellets or did I store them wrong by having them in the garage. By the way they are on pallets in the garage. They are also GreenWay brand.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Have stored as much as 6 tons every year in my garage for years without an problems. Last year had surgery in middle of pellet season. Had to shut the stove down. Am burning those old pellets this year after over a year of storage in garage. Not experiencing any problems. Good luck.