Wood price delivered or not / local price

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

neverbilly

Burning Hunk
Dec 27, 2015
Arkansas, USA
I have too much wood I have cut and stacked and even more in the woods from trees blown down. I really need to sell some. How much does firewood go for in a southern state? This is north Louisiana and it's not very cold here but some people do burn. I do in the fireplace if it gets decently cold but even if cool, I often have a 'campfire' in the pit. How much to charge? And what about if they pick it up? I have wood cut in 16" lengths and stacked in variable length stacks. I know how to measure it. I guess I do. Face cord would be a stack of these 16" pieces 4' high by 8' long. Right? Of course, I'd prefer to sell it by the cord to make it worthwhile.

I've got some ready to burn this year.

I have white oak, red oak, pecan and then some mixed stuff. Maple, locust, mulberry, elm.

I have too much wood I have cut and stacked and even more in the woods from trees blown down. I really need to sell some. How much does firewood go for in a southern state? This is north Louisiana and it's not very cold here but some people do burn. I do in the fireplace if it gets decently cold but even if cool, I often have a 'campfire' in the pit. How much to charge? And what about if they pick it up? I have wood cut in 16" lengths and stacked in variable length stacks. I know how to measure it. I guess I do. Face cord would be a stack of these 16" pieces 4' high by 8' long. Right? Of course, I'd prefer to sell it by the cord to make it worthwhile.

I've got some ready to burn this year.

I have white oak, red oak, pecan and then some mixed stuff. Maple, locust, mulberry, elm.

There is no standardized definition of "face cord". If you want to remove any possibility of ambiguity and misunderstandings, I recommend you only deal in cords (and 1/2 cord, 1/4 cord, etc). In Washington State I believe it is illegal to offer firewood in any amount other than cords and fractional cords because unscrupulous firewood sellers will exploit the lack of legal definition of various undefined terms such as "rick", "face cord", "rank", "stack", "humungous pile", "truck load", "buttload", etc.

As to price, I recommend checking your local Craig's List to see what others are charging.

Face cord, although yes no true definition, is a measurement commonly used around here....your face cord is 1/3 cord.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The white oak and pecan may be interesting to someone running a big smoke house or a bbq joint.

I have done a few ribeyes and one pork shoulder on white oak. It is a mild flavor that lets me taste the meat. If you got a hoiry toity chef in the area five him enough white oak free to get hooked and then sell him the rest.

Pecan is in the hickory family.

Red oak didnt do a thing for bone in ribeyes so i stopped fooling with it in my cooker.

The rest of what you describe sounds like firewood to me.

If you get into any ash or more hickory, try to keep it in longer pieces air dried. Kiln dried hickory cant be steam bent for dried beans, something about lignin chemistry. Air dried hickory can be made into axe handles (hatchet handles?) Or steam bent into rocking chair rockers and hooped chair backs, or cutwaters and outwales on small boats.

Exactly. That's not a true face cord? That's what I call a face cord. 16" x 4' x 8'.
Yes it's a "true" face cord, what I was trying to say is what was said earlier, there's no definition for face cord, but face cord seems to be a more acceptable measurement than a rick.

A true cord of seasoned hard wood in NNJ goes between 200 & 250 here delivered, the further you live from the seller the closer to the 250 price tag. Also this is the average, if its a cold brutal winter with high oil prices that same cord can go for $300.00 easily.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
Like others have said, check craigslist and see what it is going for in your area. I would think you'll have a hard time selling a full cord being in a southern area. Most folks around here only buy a rick, or 1/3 of a cord, at a time. I find most of the serious wood burners in the south have ample supply of their own or from scrounges. Plenty of hardwood in the south with few burners creates a flooded market of firewood. Supply and demand... i have sold 2 year seasoned mix delivered for $70/rick or face cord or 1/3 of a cord for those uptight sorts.

Face cord, although yes no true definition, is a measurement commonly used around here....your face cord is 1/3 cord.

Exactly. That's not a true face cord? That's what I call a face cord. 16" x 4' x 8'.

There is no such thing as a true face cord. A face cord is 4' x8' x whatever length your splits are. It is not a measurement at all. In pa all firewood needs to be sold in cords or fractions of cords also