Wood Shed Sides To Ventilate Yet Shed Water

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I'm thinking of building a wood shed at some point.
Is there a siding design that would shed water and yet ventilate?
I'm thinking some kind of overlap with air spacing?

I saw a cool design the other day as I was driving to my sister's house. The siding was slats that were turned at a 45 degree angle off of vertical and spaced evenly. The builder also angled them on the horizontal to give it an interesting look.

So if you picture it in your mind's eye, each slat os sort of like the overhang on the drip edge of the roof of your house, with an air gap between each one. Think venitian blind halfway open and you're there.

That's what I was thinking of.
Alas, I'm no carpenter.

edit: I too made a special trip yesterday on the way home from work to check out a guy's wood storage system.
He had a series of neat wood shelters that also acted as a screen.

If you're no carpenter, then lattice sides with a good roof overhang would suffice. And maybe make the sides solid at the bottom to prevent splash up.

I am going to be screwing pallets on the outside of my shed for siding. Should be enough protection and give some space for the rain to drip down/snow to fall down.

Here's a few pics of my Dad's newly renovated woodshed.

IMG_1155.jpg

IMG_1152.jpg

IMG_1153.jpg

IMG_1154.jpg

Spacing is fairly close as we get loads of wind and rain ... this still allows for a good air flow, while giving lots of cover.

Cheers

;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.