Wood splitting for weaklings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mnebears

Nov 18, 2021
Maine
I'm wondering what you might use to split wood that isn't too challenging for someone who's not particulary strong. A lot of the wood I have would be more useful if it was split into smaller pieces, but I'm not able to use an axe and don't have anything at all in common with a lumberjack. :) My husband is recovering from a stroke, so I'm hoping to keep the stove going on my own. Any ideas?

An electric splitter might be handy to have. If the wood is not split now, it probably is too wet to burn this season unless it was standing dead when cut.

Reactions: clancey
You might research some of the small, electrically-run splitters. I have not, myself, ever used one. Someone here will probably chime in with pros or cons of them. No gasoline engine to pull-start or maintain.

Thanks - that's a good idea. I hope someone who has used one will comment on how safe (or not safe) it is, and ease of use. Is it safe for an accident-prone doofus?

Check the Gear forum here for info on electric splitters.

I have a Harbor Freight 5-ton electric wood splitter. It is perfect for splitting down into smaller splits. I split 3.5 cords of larger wood splits down into smaller splits this past summer. Worked like a charm.

The same splitter is sold by a number of companies, so shop around for the best price.

It has 2 back wheels so you can pull it to where you want to work, but it is heavy, so it might be easier for you to set it up somewhere and bring the wood to the splitter. Putting it up higher on a sturdy table (or you can by a stand online at BOSS), will save your back. You will need someone to help you move/lift it.

63366_I.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a little 4 tonne electric log splitter at Canadian Tire on sale for about $260 (canadian) about 5 years ago, and it's still going strong. The cycle time is a bit slow, but the upside of that is that you will work away at your wood at a pace that is sustainable. It is exceptionally simple and safe to use, and I would highly recommend it. Having the wee electric splitter is also nice because in the winter, I throw it down in the basement, and use it to cut kindling. My only suggestion is to wear safety glasses when you use it.

I've been using an electric splitter along with a gas splitter but the electric does 90% of what I need and is more convenient, just plug in and split, as mentioned cycle times are slow but it gets the job done.

you call yourself ''an accident prone doofus.'' Why don't you just buy firewood that already has been split?

Now that's a good idea..clancey
Well, without going deeply into my situation - conditions now are not exactly what we expected or planned for. My husband is recovering from a stroke and can barely walk. We're in a VERY rural place where services of all kinds are scarce. We had the stove installed shortly before he had the stroke, and the wood in question was given to us by a kind neighbor who is moving to Florida. It's well seasoned, and all of the logs fit in our stove length-wise, but some of them are pretty big and are not split. We can't afford to just waste good firewood that we were given for free, so I'm trying to devise a way to split those that need to be split without spending a fortune or disabling myself (one disabled person is all I can handle).

Reactions: Dan Freeman
Unfortunately, there are few of those and they fall into two categories: too busy and not interested. As I said, this is a sparsely populated rural place. It's the kind of place enterprising young men escape from. It's cold, beautiful, and populated mostly by people of advanced age. We do fine for the most part, but getting paid help for anything (mowing the lawn, painting the house, etc.) is rare.

• Sad
I’d second the electric splitter; I also have never used one but a quick search on the internet looks like they range 200-600$ (Likely more if you wanted something huge). Sorry about your current situation, hope you can find something that works for you.

For the future, limb wood is your friend. Your current stash was given to you but your next wood haul has to come from somewhere. At some point you will be cutting or having someone cut for you, as well as splitting. Limb wood, about 4'' in diam. and smaller only needs to be cut. Always be on the lookout for limbs on the ground and blow downs. Net work with your "local" neighbors letting them know your situation and they may barter with you for some help cleaning up their rural properties. You want to get to know the species too. Some woods season faster than others and the ones that season slower, generally, burn longer .... sometimes hotter.
Lots of info to read through in this sight.

Welcome to heating with wood, and independence.

I have a harbor freight 5 ton mentioned earlier. You need 2 hands to operate. One for leaver, one to push button. I can do a 12 inch log just start from one side. You do need to be close to an electric outlet. It's about 100 lbs but if you can raise it up some it makes operation easier.

About 2 yrs ago, my kids bought me a kindling splitter. I think they make one that is larger in size as well. At any rate, providing the grain is straight, my 9 year old can break up some splits. I agree with others, an electric splitter would be useful. I admire your tenacity and wish you the best!

I'd suggest getting another load of wood delivered for next year, you're surely going to need it. Before ordering ask the supplier if they have a splitting service and could split the existing wood for a fee. Don't expect the newly delivered wood to be ready to burn this season.

Unfortunately, there are few of those and they fall into two categories: too busy and not interested. As I said, this is a sparsely populated rural place. It's the kind of place enterprising young men escape from. It's cold, beautiful, and populated mostly by people of advanced age. We do fine for the most part, but getting paid help for anything (mowing the lawn, painting the house, etc.) is rare.

My guess . . . northwestern Maine?

If you get desperate take your vehicle (being rural I doubt that you are driving a Prius) into town and find someplace that does sell already-split firewood. If you have to, make several runs into town, load up, and haul it back. It doesn't sound like splitting by axe or even using a splitter is going to work for you.

If you honestly think that you can't contract with someone to haul you firewood, then you need to go get it. My remote neighbor, before he passed, paid a logger to drop off two cords at his place. I ended up slowly following this semi as it tried to navigate a twisty, dirt single lane drive for five miles as it wound its way to him in the snow. If they could haul wood there on the Minnesota/Canadian border, I would think that you could get it delivered too.

Thanks to everyone who replied. It's most appreciated. Given my situation and finances, that kindling cracker looks like something I'd like to try. Hopefully by next winter we'll be in a better condition to take full advantage of our stove. We're never going to be in a position to completely heat the house with the wood stove, but my hope is that we'll be using it as auxiliary heat so that we don't have to run the furnace too much.

Here is another alternative to the kindling splitter. It's been one of the most useful tools I ever bought. It's 4 lbs but whether you have a kindling splitter or this, you still have to swing a hammer.

Wood splitting for weaklings

Your guess is correct! :)

I was going to get even more specific and guess Rangeley or Jackman. Good luck. If I lived closer I would haul my splitter up and split them smaller . . . partly because it's the decent thing to do and partly because splitting is my favorite part.