Wood stacked vertically.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
Vertical stacked woodpile - anyone have one like these?

Attachments

• woodpilevert.jpg
    woodpilevert.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 1,140
  • vertwoodpile.jpg
    vertwoodpile.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 1,072
nice looking! would the splits being on the ground draw moisture up and prevent curing?

Those look like charcoal making piles, except they're not covered with dirt..........

Whose backyard did you sneak into to take those pictures? haha

it is rumored that if stacked off the ground this is the best and fastest way for wood to dry. gravity drains the moisture out threw the vains on the bottom. Much more effecient that horrizonatl stacking

We tried that a long time ago. My dad didn't notice a diffrence. He also said it took to dam long to stack.

How stable is a setup like that? I think I would be scared to walk by the thing.

I don't think it works well. Vintage mentioned once that most of the drying happens through the ends of wood and I've since read articles saying similar. I can't see that configuration working well that being the case. Also, the sun dries wood fastest and that configuration has much of the wood in constant shade or receiving very little sunlight throughout the day. Boy, I'd love to take one of those big stones in front and hurl it into one of the piles, or take a big round river-rock or heavy 10-pin bowling ball and bowl it in, see what happens... I'm not that mean, but won't say those kinds of things don't pop into my head.

I bet those splits will stick together really nice once the snow and freezing rain starts to hit them as well.

Im a big fan of indian logic. For somereason, when i first saw that photo, it looked right. seems like the natual chimney effect would work better that way.

It doesn't look like there is anything keeping them off the ground either...once you get in a 2-3 layers can't imaging the circulation is that good???

One in particular that I saw for about two years was shaped like an oval and had about the same amount of wood as all three piles in one...It stayed solid and upright...

Hey Craig,,,go back and interview them for us will ya!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.