Wood storage and other questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Welderman85

Feeling the Heat
Nov 1, 2017
Chesaning MI
In preparation for getting a stove I cut and stacked around 3 cord of dead ash and dead or mostly dead soft maple. Now 3 years later I'm finally getting it in. So the wood has been stack and covered for at least two years. I checked the MC on a few and there 12 to 15
Is that good. Also I took some heavy duty rubber made tubs drilled some 2" holes in the lids and covered with a very fine screen to let moisture out. Is it safe to store wood in my house in these tubs

Reactions: Lakeside
Yes, sounds like you are good to go as long as the moisture reading was on the freshly exposed face of wood after the wood was resplit. No problem with the tubs as long as they are kept outside the clearance required for the stove.

Just wonder why you need to bring the wood into the house? I know some here do it, but..... My covered wood stacks has always had powered post bugs. I've never seen them, but certain wood has dust coming out of holes. For me I have no reason to get the wood any closer to the stove than my side covered porch.

Reactions: kborndale
Just wonder why you need to bring the wood into the house? I know some here do it, but..... My covered wood stacks has always had powered post bugs. I've never seen them, but certain wood has dust coming out of holes. For me I have no reason to get the wood any closer to the stove than my side covered porch.

My thought was it would dry it out . All my wood is at or below 20% so I guess it doesn't need it but o thought it would dry it out a little better. Dose it stay dry enough covered out side? I also have the sawdust piles in my stacks from beetles . I thought that's why the tub would help put the lid on and it should hold some bugs in but I'm very new to this

My thought was it would dry it out . All my wood is at or below 20% so I guess it doesn't need it but o thought it would dry it out a little better. Dose it stay dry enough covered out side? I also have the sawdust piles in my stacks from beetles . I thought that's why the tub would help put the lid on and it should hold some bugs in but I'm very new to this

Is it possible to stack some wood on a porch outside the door or in a backroom? You can split up some of that wood into smaller pieces for kindling and have those in a tub to toss in the stove to get a good fire burning before putting a couple full size pieces in.

Sounds like you have a good supply of dry wood to keep warm this winter.
How far are your stacks from the house? Just thinking logistics of how many mid-winter trips you would want to make if you don't end up keeping it in or close to the house.
I personally keep a healthy amount of wood in my attached garage, about 1/3 season's worth and spend a few hours three times per season refilling it all at once.

Reactions: Paulywalnut
It's about 60 feet away to the stacks. I was thinking the tubs would work good but man bugs in the house makes me nervous. Dose wood hold moisture being outside. I have it covered but was just wondering. How do others store there wood

I season/store my wood top covered with plastic up until the fall before I’m going to use it, then move it under the more reliable cover of the woodshed. Before I had the shed I used to fully tarp the stacks I intended to use that season, to prevent rain or snow from wetting the wood I was about to use.

If it is not going to be used soon though, I wouldn’t fully tarp it—airflow is typically needed to prevent rot during longer spells of storage.
I’ve not had any problems with bugs in the house while storing wood in my garage either.

I have my wood stacked on pallets not far from my house and I keep the stacks covered with a tarp, rubber roofing, anything that will keep water off. Covered only on top, not down the sides so air circulates. I use a wheel barrow to bring wood in. Not one of those shallow home owners type, a 3 Cu Ft (I think) barrow. I wheel it in the basement door and park it close to the stove, and feed right out of it. Usually in the winter I burn a wheel barrow full each day.

I built a wooden wood shed, I have it now for 3 years stacked with wood, all the wood stays in it for a 2 years cycle, I have had no issues with bugs going into the framing of the shed, and yes I have noticed some firewood splits with powder post beetle markings.
I also keep a single 6ft long by 5ft high rack in the garage, I load that thing up so I don't have to go outside to retrieve splits, never had a an issue with bugs inside the house.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I don't worry about the bugs too much. Termites I think radiate out from an established colony, they probably won't start eating your house if you mistakenly bring a couple inside. I've had some Hickory inside for a week or so which had powder post beetle dust, but never saw any evidence that they were doing anything to interior house wood. I think all those bugs prefer moister wood in which to reside, anyway.

I dont store wood indoors mainly because i dont have room but i keep a weeks worth or so on covered porch and a few stove loads in living room. We dont get feet of snow like most of you folks do on hearth so it isnt that big a deal to keep it in the stack and grab it as you need it.

I top cover my stacks late fall thru late spring. In the spring/summer before burning it is moved into my open side wood shed. I fill a rack on the front porch as needed. The wood comes in the house and goes directly into the stove.

While there may be a little re-absorption of moisture from the air, it will be only superficial and not significant. Being well aged and dry, I see no advantage to bringing the wood into the house prior to its turn in the stove. Termites are not a threat, they will have long ago vacated the dry wood and a queen is required to establish a new infestation. Powderpost beetles could pose a problem.