Wood Storage Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I went out yesterday for some advertised free wood. I drive up to the house. Great, there was some big white ash cut into about 25" rounds (I prefer 16"). Now, the giver-away changes his mind and decides to sell his white ash, wth. The ad said free 4 times.

The wood is big, moist, needing to be loaded, and is cut to the wrong length. There is about 1 cord. I offer him $75. I don't usually pay for wood, but I'm there. Not good enough. The free wood is now $125 and climbing as the wheels in his mind are turning. I politely bow out. That has never happened to me before - from free to $$$. :)
The classic “ bait and switch”!

I have a setup similar to yours. I have the wood that is ready alongside the driveway and the stuff aging in the back of my property (about 100 yards). It’s a pain but in the spring I just make a few trips with the wheelbarrow (or truck if I’m far behind). In the past when I’ve had to pull some stuff out of the back during the winter I have one of those ice fishing sleds, and those things are easy to pull across snow.

I have a setup similar to yours. I have the wood that is ready alongside the driveway and the stuff aging in the back of my property (about 100 yards). It’s a pain but in the spring I just make a few trips with the wheelbarrow (or truck if I’m far behind). In the past when I’ve had to pull some stuff out of the back during the winter I have one of those ice fishing sleds, and those things are easy to pull across snow.
I also have a jet sled. Works well hauling deer across the snow along with firewood! In the spring I use it for my garden debris.

The wood is big, moist, needing to be loaded, and is cut to the wrong length. There is about 1 cord. I offer him $75. I don't usually pay for wood, but I'm there. Not good enough. The free wood is now $125 and climbing as the wheels in his mind are turning. I politely bow out.
wood was about 8 to ten inch rounds cut to 4 foot lengths... about 10 of em.
craigs list ad stated FREE to haul away, just take it.
i get there, wood down by the roadway, i start loading get one in the bed and the guy comes running out yelling WAIT WAIT!
Wife said i gotta sell it.
🤣
I stopped by a guy's house where I saw a tree taken down. I thought it was Red Maple, but got out and it's Pecan. I told him I'd come back in a couple days with the trailer. He had started splitting some, and was saving it for smoker wood.
So when I get there, he asked "How much do you want?" I said "All of it." Then he started talking about how one guy up the street asked him three times about it (maybe wanted to sell it for BBQ/smoker wood?) The guy said "Everybody's trying to take advantage of me!" I said "OK, I'll just leave now." He said, "No, I promised you some of it." I said "No big deal; If you look around, there's no shortage of trees." 😆
So I got the one load. He's got two more Pecan to take down..I'm thinking I might get some of that too, before it's all said and done. 😏
I woulda left those trees growing but some folks don't want anything that could hit their house, even though in this case they were on the leeward side of the house from where the heavy winds usually come.
I OTOH have several trees that could hit the house, but they look to be in good shape. I guess a tornado wouldn't care how good of shape they were in, though. But I like the shade they provide to the yard, and my four year old shingles.

My shed is 10+ yards the other side of the driveway from my house. I just use my snowblower to make a path to it in the winter. Bring in wood about once a week. Works well, because I do all my processing over by my woodshed.

pecan is excellent wood for smoking... love it!
apple, hickory and pecan are my favourites.
I don't know much about smoking but I think they also use Cheerywood, right?
Something that smelled pretty good when I burned it was River Birch..kind of a sweet smell IIRC.

I don't know much about smoking but I think they also use Cheerywood, right?
Something that smelled pretty good when I burned it was River Birch..kind of a sweet smell IIRC.
cherry is popular, yes... basically, and fruit wood works
Hickory, oak (white and red), alder, sugar maple, pecan, apple (including crabapple), olive, mulberry... and cherry

We smoked many a ham from wild hogs on pecan wood down in Georgia. Nothing better.

Reactions: JamesGuido
We smoked many a ham from wild hogs on pecan wood down in Georgia. Nothing better.
Whoa! Pecan-smoked jowl bacon--I could go for that, and some fried eggs with hash browns right about now...yum! 🥓😋
When we worked in my wife's folks' little grocery store, we got fresh hog jowl from a nearby packing house that was still in business back then, and we always had jowl bacon in the meat counter. We also got fresh quarter- and half-beefs, and busted them down. We had a grill there too, and the fresh ground-chuck cheeseburgers, slathered with raw onions, were the best I ever had. 🤗
Man, I haven't had bacon or sausage in a while, these days I can only eat a chunk of beef the size of a spark plug without getting an upset stomach. But right now the front of my tee shirt is soaked with drool! 🤤😆

Last edited:
Reactions: JamesGuido
Don't forget my personal favorite, mesquite.
i neglected to mention "mestique" on purpose, knowing someone would bring it up.
it is a smoke "profile" i never got use to.