Wood storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That looks very similar to the area under my deck. I store wood under there in the winter but not year-round.
+1

Same here

I am not a fan of underdeck storage. Water percolates down between the boards and once its lands there it soaks everything and takes a couple of day to dry out. I have seen folks rig up tin roofing to avoid that but its still a damp place.

I season away from the house (bugs, critters), but move to an area similar to the OP's for use in the fall, when the wood is dry and cold. Looks like you have room for only a few weeks worth of wood on that porch, anyway... not nearly enough space for seasoning a three year supply.

What works for me . . .

Fresh processed wood is bucked, up, split and stacked uncovered away from the house and left for a year. I figure this gives the bugs time to decide if they want to move or not . . . after I've destroyed their home sweet home.

In the following year I bring the wood a little bit closer to the house and put them under cover in my woodshed where they sit for another year.

The next year I start to use this wood . . . but I generally start out by just going to the woodshed to grab a load or two . . . and then when the weather turns cold I stack about 1 1/2-2 weeks worth of wood on my covered porch. Bugs aren't a major issue by then and honestly any carpenter ants (no termites up here that I know about) would have long vacated the wood, but I figure I still don't want to bring wood that may or may not have wood eating bugs right next to my house until it is plenty cold.

Reactions: Ashful
Status
Not open for further replies.