Wood stove and gas meter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

elirich

Nov 25, 2022
Oregon
Wondering if there's a problem installing my wood stove inside the house with the gas meter directly on the other side of the wall. It also be a gas line in the wall behind the wood burning stove.

If clearance to combustibles is met it shouldn't be a problem.

Reactions: elirich
Note that there is a long list of mechanical code requirements for the gas meter. Definitely do not put an outside air intake for the stove within 3 ft.

Will the stove's flue system be entirely in the house or will it be vented out the wall to a metal chimney? If exterior, this might also be something you want to ask the gas company about.

Reactions: stoveliker
Note that there is a long list of mechanical code requirements for the gas meter. Definitely do not put an outside air intake for the stove within 3 ft.

Will the stove's flue system be entirely in the house or will it be vented out the wall to a metal chimney? If exterior, this might also be something you want to ask the gas company about.
It will be running to the exterior but it will be more than 3 ft above the gas meter itself. My concern was that there won't be a 3-ft clearance from the meter to the stove. There is the wall which is 2x6 construction then the required 12 in from the interior wall. So all in all they'll be about 2 ft away from each other with a wall in between

Definitely check the proposed chimney location with the gas company. Some items like electrical have to be a minimum 10 ft away. I think the stove location is probably ok. But a hot chimney above the gas meter may not be.

Reactions: elirich