Wood stove Chimney pipe questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jjmac1235

Nov 28, 2018
Upstate NY
Looking to add another wood stove to the other end of my house. Two story colonial.

Is it cheaper to run a chimney on the exterior of house up to the roof? or to run it straight up from stove through first and second floor, up through a bedroom with chase, through the bedroom ceiling, into attic and then through roof?

I would prefer straight up via the interior because it is a cleaner look. A pipe outside along the house just looks ghetto to me.

My house has a walkout basement. 2 stories above that and then the attic. Effectively almost 4 floors to the roof.

If I choose to go with the interior install up through the house and then through the roof, the chimney will be close to the eave. (Back corner of living room install). That would mean I would have a pretty high chimney from the roof to the top of the chimney cap.

How are you guys cleaning that chimney on a high roof? Effectively, for me, it would be 4 stories high to the roof. Close to the eave (the drop off). and then another 10 feet or so to top of chimney cap. If I could clean the pipe from the bottom up there is no problem. But I can imagine that the cap itself would have to come off and be cleaned regularly. That can only happen by getting on the roof. And then what? How do you get a ladder on a steep roof to get up the chimney safely to get to the cap to clean?

Sounds dangerous and a PITA...

1. Go straight up; cheapest. Elbows, tees, and offsets are expensive.

2. Clean from bottom up using sooteater. It will clean the cap somewhat as well.

1. Go straight up; cheapest. Elbows, tees, and offsets are expensive.

2. Clean from bottom up using sooteater. It will clean the cap somewhat as well.

This would be perfect. There is no way to get on that roof safely and clean the cap unless you rented a 60ft boom. At $500/day x once a year, that just may not make sense and shut this whole project down.

Yikes. You could untwist the upper pipe and then clean the cap from a safe position. Just dont drop it. Tie yourself off so you cant fall. Just dont tie off to the bumper of a car on the other side of the house. Imagine someone driving the car away!

Yikes. You could untwist the upper pipe and then clean the cap from a safe position. Just dont drop it. Tie yourself off so you cant fall. Just dont tie off to the bumper of a car on the other side of the house. Imagine someone driving the car away!

That is a great option.

Haha. I did that when I put in my insert. I tied myself to my tractor on the other side of the house...

Just clean from the bottom with a rotary cleaner. They do a good job on the cap.