Wood stove for our yurt

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I called the local Pacific Energy store where I bought the firebrick, they didn't have any ideas, so I called Pacific Energy tech support. Paul, the gentleman I spoke with said that the standard size fire brick can vary by up to a quarter inch depending on manufacturer. I bought USSC Model FBP6. I've been reading the threads about cutting fire brick, gosh! I probably only need an eighth of an inch. Any ideas? Thanks.

Measure it to see if it is properly sized. If it is just a wee bit oversized, shave it down with a coarse rasp or with an angle grinder. Wear goggles and a mask.

Wear a dust mask! Many of these insulating materials are quite hazardous to the lungs. You could use a coarse file to shave/shape the firebrick or even a hack saw.

Reactions: DonnaK
Measure it to see if it is properly sized. If it is just a wee bit oversized, shave it down with a coarse rasp or with an angle grinder. Wear goggles and a mask.
Thanks! After consulting Pacific Energy, our local PE dealer, and the threads about firebrick, I called a friend and borrowed his grinder and masonry disk. Wore mask, hearing protection and goggles. The bricks fit beautifully. Now for the new door gasket, should be able to fire her up tomorrow!

Door gasket. We bought replacement door gasket from the local hardware store that sells Pacific Energy stoves. BUT - reading through threads, it looks like I should order a PE gasket replacement gasket instead. Is that right?

Thanks! After consulting Pacific Energy, our local PE dealer, and the threads about firebrick, I called a friend and borrowed his grinder and masonry disk. Wore mask, hearing protection and goggles. The bricks fit beautifully. Now for the new door gasket, should be able to fire her up tomorrow!
Be sure to insert the kaowool insulation pieces alongside the baffle. Definitely get the OEM PE door gasket. Use RTV silicone adhesive to bed it.

Reactions: DonnaK
Be sure to insert the kaowool insulation pieces alongside the baffle. Definitely get the OEM PE door gasket. Use RTV silicone adhesive to bed it.
Thank you! I didn't have to remove the baffle or the side rails, so I didn't take out any of the insulation.
We are so excited to fire up the Super 27, but will have to wait now for the door gasket. Sigh. Thanks for all the support and guidance.

We finally fired up the PE Super 27 today. The temperature in the yurt warmed to 65 from 32 in about an hour. It makes me so happy. We have a load of apple wood to hold the fire.
Thanks for all your advice and help.

Attachments

• 20201127_132920.jpg
    20201127_132920.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 95
Looks great. Note that the stove will actually get hotter and burn better with the air turned down more. By turning down the air, the draft caused a vacuum in the firebox which pulls more air through the baffle for secondary combustion. That makes the fire burn hotter and cleaner. A flue thermometer helps with guidance and getting the most heat out of the fire.

Reactions: SpaceBus
@DonnaK, I hope you folks are warm and enjoying yurt life. Can you tell us a bit about the daily woodstove routine and how things have worked out?

LOL ...I was curious too and just popped on to see if there were any updates ==c

I'm wondering if the yurt is a temp home or are they there for the long haul...

Our friends traditionally spend every Christmas in their yurt. It'll be in the low 20s for them overnight, but they may see some snow on the 25th.