Wood stove for our yurt

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DonnaK

Sep 17, 2020
Idaho
We are searching for a good wood stove for our yurt (approx. 400 sqft). We are looking for something used to keep the cost down. We are going to look at a Quadra-fire Yosemite that has quite a bit of rust on the outside. In reading some posts here, it sounds like quite a few other things could be wrong with it as well. Any recommendations?
Thanks!

How will the stove be vented? Straight-up chimney or out the side and then up? How tall will the chimney be?

For new and inexpensive, look at the True North TN20.

See your posting in the Classics Forum for the old Answer stove for greater details.

The chimney has to be vented out the side of the yurt, not sure how high the the roof is.
20200612_145358.jpg

That is pretty low. Plan on putting up a 12' chimney with a stout pole for support.
This thread has some pictures of the flue installation on a yurt.

Last edited:
The little Morso is a nice stove but in this situation a mid-sized PE or Drolet stove would be better .

Reactions: DonnaK and SpaceBus
The little Morso is a nice stove but in this situation a mid-sized PE or Drolet stove would be better .
Is it too small for the space? That is a beautiful stove, but I'm a bit partial ;)

Is it too small for the space? That is a beautiful stove, but I'm a bit partial ;)
Yes, too small and the shallow firebox is not ideal for this short chimney setup. It doesn't hold a lot of fuel due to the small firebox and E/W loading. Burntimes are typically 3-4 hrs and one needs to be quite cautious about smoke spillage.

We are getting ready to install the Pacific Energy Super 27 in our yurt but have questions about the stove pipe and the installation. Pacific Yurts call for insulated pipe the entire length. We are finding that insulated pipe is very expensive and are wondering if it there's a less expensive alternative.

We are also looking for a Pacific Energy dealer, there are none locally. I am wondering if you know of any you would recommend in the Northwest.

Will the stove be vented out the side? For best performance I recommend using double-wall stove pipe on the interior of the yurt that connects to a class A chimney system on the exterior. Yes, it is expensive, but this is infrastructure that needs to last and be safe for many years to come. There are some good discount houses that sell the proper stove and chimney pipe. Try Woodstovepro.com for example. What area are you shopping for a dealer? WA state or Idaho - what is the largest local town?

Reactions: DonnaK and jross47
Good luck with the super 27.....! An excellent choice....I have one in my garage. It looks like you are getting good advice here on installation. The pipe, chimney and thimble are very expensive but worth it and will last basically forever.

Reactions: DonnaK
Suggest you see "Through Our Eyes" at Youtube. They have a lot of videos about the wood stove in their Yurt at:

Good luck with the super 27.....! An excellent choice....I have one in my garage. It looks like you are getting good advice here on installation. The pipe, chimney and thimble are very expensive but worth it and will last basically forever.
Thanks! Yes, we have the installed the chimney, $1100 +, but worth it.

We are getting ready to install the Pacific Energy Super 27 in our yurt but have questions about the stove pipe and the installation. Pacific Yurts call for insulated pipe the entire length. We are finding that insulated pipe is very expensive and are wondering if it there's a less expensive alternative.

We are also looking for a Pacific Energy dealer, there are none locally. I am wondering if you know of any you would recommend in the Northwest.
Will the stove be vented out the side? For best performance I recommend using double-wall stove pipe on the interior of the yurt that connects to a class A chimney system on the exterior. Yes, it is expensive, but this is infrastructure that needs to last and be safe for many years to come. There are some good discount houses that sell the proper stove and chimney pipe. Try Woodstovepro.com for example. What area are you shopping for a dealer? WA state or Idaho - what is the largest local town?
We are in Boise, ID. I found a Pacific Energy dealer in Nampa, about 20 miles from Boise, Owyhee Heating. They have been incredibly helpful, they helped figure out the chimney specs and installation.
I bought some new fire bricks, now I am trying to figure out how to install them. The old firebrick came out easily. Replacing is a challenge.
Do I have to remove one of the brackets to get all of the wall bricks installed? I have 3 installed, but the last one doesn't seem to slip behind the bracket.

After reading post about fire bricks, I wonder if I bought the right kind. The firebrick that were in the stove are denser and heavier than the ones I bought for replacements. It's what they had at the stove dealership so I assumed they were the right kind. What kind of bricks should I use? Is it OK to mix and match?

Was the stove used? If so, it could be that someone already replaced some of the firebrick. The factory bricks are made from pumice and are much lighter than regular firebricks. I'm glad you found a PE dealer to work with. Can you post some pictures of the installation and chimney?

Thanks, I was wondering if the firebrick may have been replaced. I bought 12 of the lighter pumice bricks, guess I will buy another box and replace all of the fire bricks.

I s there a trick to installing the firebrick, do have to remove one of the brackets to get all of the wall bricks installed?

I can tak photos tomorrow and post.

Here are a few photos of the 1992 Pacific Energy Super 27 and the chimney installation. I plan to get all the fire brick installed tomorrow.
20201116_134544.jpg20201116_134500.jpg20201116_134440.jpg

Great. It's getting to be time for heat. The Super takes pumice firebrick.

Great. It's getting to be time for heat. The Super takes pumice firebrick.
Thanks, I bought the pumice fire bricks (the old ones were ceramic). I had a couple bricks cut to the sizes specified in the manual. I thoroughly cleaned the interior of the stove.
BUT - I still can't get the fire bricks to fit. Please help! Are there any tips or tricks that I am missing? Thank you.

Thanks, I bought the pumice fire bricks (the old ones were ceramic). I had a couple bricks cut to the sizes specified in the manual. I thoroughly cleaned the interior of the stove.
BUT - I still can't get the fire bricks to fit. Please help! Are there any tips or tricks that I am missing? Thank you.
Do I have to remove the baffle and side rails to get the firebrick installed? I am finding it difficult to get the firebrick installed on the bottom of the stove.

Do I have to remove the baffle and side rails to get the firebrick installed? I am finding it difficult to get the firebrick installed on the bottom of the stove.
Floor firebricks first. You may need to lift the side rails to go over the brick. Be sure to replace the kaowool side pieces alongside of the baffle.

Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 8.32.11 PM.png

Thanks. Yes, I have the diagram and the manual. I am finding that the new pumice brick doesn't want to fit. I know it should be tight, but I can't get it into position. Thank you.