Wood stove fresh air intake??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scott6824

Feb 1, 2008
wisconsin
Quick question.. I have an older Hearthstone wood stove ... over the summer we had our house resided and I had the contractor put foam insulation and seal up the house really tight... my would stove doesn't have a fresh air intake out to the garage.. I have a 1 1/5" opening on the back of the stove just curious what kinda pipe I need to get some air to the stove with.. the stove gets pretty warm about 400-500 degrees on the top of the stove.. don't want the pipe going outside to start the wall on fire.. so just curious if I need outside air and if so what kinda pipe do I use .. thanks in advance...

I would be leery of trying to pull combustion air from the garage. I wonder if that is even legal due to the possibility of gas fumes.

My outside air pipe is the same temperature as the outside air that is rushing through it to feed the 500 degree stove. It can be quite cold.

I wonder if that tiny 1.2" opening you describe is actually the secondary air inlet that some hearthstone stoves have. My air intake on my modern hertitage is 3" diameter.

So back to my question...now that the house is tighter air wise would you recomend getting an outside air intake.. I just would have to run the pipe along the garage to the outside not that big a deal.. thanks

Try it without first, if you find you need it contact Hearthstone and see if there is a way to hook up an OAK to an older stove.

Are you experiencing any sort of decreased draft issues with the stove now that your house is all sealed up tight? To actually seal an old house up to the point where it wouldn't let in enough outside air to keep a woodstove running, you'd have to almost make it into a submarine. If the stove really does need an outside air source fed to it, then it's just that...outside air, not pulled from the garage. If the stove was designed and built to accomodate an Outside Air Kit, then the right way to do it is to buy the fittings from the manufacturer and install it in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions. Typically, this calls for a 3" or 4" conduit. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.