Wood Stove Hydronic Heat Exchanger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Shagpal

Oct 9, 2022
Socal
I have a wood stove that I need to tap the heat for radiant floor and DHW. I am using heavy gauge 304 square/rectangular stainless steel tube welded with 3/4” nipples. I have a fabricator ready to do this. I will saddle the tanks to the outside of my wood stove. I will be using taco recirculation pumps that came with the sharkbite manifold kits and pex-al-pex and aluminum plates for radiant floor. I have 2 geospring HPWH, one in the attic, one in the basement. to supplement, I have 2 navien NG tankless, one with the tank and recirc

my question, if I run only water, no glycol, is the radiant floor still on a closed loop? is the DWH separated or do I just tie it in with the radiant assuming I use the 50gal geosprings as my tanks?

There are a lot of issues here. First and biggest is you will not be able to draw out enough BTUs from the wood stove to heat the floor slab. If you are only going for domestic hot water, there is plenty. Search my history, years ago I posted a long thread about my hot water heating setup connected to my stove. Most of the comments in the thread were about how unsafe it was to heat water from a wood stove.

I have a wood stove that I need to tap the heat for radiant floor and DHW. I am using heavy gauge 304 square/rectangular stainless steel tube welded with 3/4” nipples. I have a fabricator ready to do this. I will saddle the tanks to the outside of my wood stove. I will be using taco recirculation pumps that came with the sharkbite manifold kits and pex-al-pex and aluminum plates for radiant floor. I have 2 geospring HPWH, one in the attic, one in the basement. to supplement, I have 2 navien NG tankless, one with the tank and recirc

my question, if I run only water, no glycol, is the radiant floor still on a closed loop? is the DWH separated or do I just tie it in with the radiant assuming I use the 50gal geosprings as my tanks?
Reading this post, it sounds like you don't have the technical background to tackle this.
First, stainless steel is not a good material for heat exchange; you will not get a lot of heat out of this contraption.
But there are other far more dangerous issues with this.
I recommend you don't do it before you or your family gets hurt.
Just my advise, don't take it personal.