Wood stove in alcove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Phil’s Phire

Jul 5, 2020
Burlington CT
Hi – I have an existing chase that used to have a prefab fireplace in it. It is not a masonry chase, it is framed out with drywall and siding on the outside. I am going to demo the old firebox and frame it out with A sloping back that slopes up so the heat can escape into the room. This alcove will be approximately 26 in deep and 61 inches wide, and will be reinforced with hardy board and stone paneling.
I am thinking of putting in either a Hearthstone Heritage or a Pacific Energy ALDERLEA T5 CLASSIC LE. I would like either of these units to fit as far back into the chase area as possible while still satisfying the minimum clearances.

I realize one is soapstone and one is a floating steel box with cast-iron on top. Wondering if anybody who comment on the pluses and minuses of these units in the situation. Thanks!

Welcome. When measuring, look at the ceiling height requirements for any prospective stove. Most require 84". That's ok, a minor slope at the top of the alcove will still be quite effective. Both stoves will have new 2020 designs. Hearthstone has added a catalyst to the Heritage. How well this stove will work over time is unknown. Expect it to be higher maintenance. The T5's changes are less dramatic. It was one of the first 2020 stoves on the market and has remained easy to run and service.

Welcome. When measuring, look at the ceiling height requirements for any prospective stove. Most require 84". That's ok, a minor slope at the top of the alcove will still be quite effective. Both stoves will have new 2020 designs. Hearthstone has added a catalyst to the Heritage. How well this stove will work over time is unknown. Expect it to be higher maintenance. The T5's changes are less dramatic. It was one of the first 2020 stoves on the market and has remained easy to run and service.
Thanks so much for the reply! Do you have a sense as to which one of these will be better if furniture is in close proximity? We want to be able to sit within 5 feet of this thing and not burn our faces off. We were told the hearthstone might be better for that since it is a soapstone stove. Any thoughts on that?

The T5 is a bit less radiant on the sides than the Heritage. Both stoves will be strongly radiant in front. 5-6 feet should be a comfortable distance if directly in front of the stove.

Hello! Welcome to the Hearth!
I am not much help with your entire question but I can tell you that we love our Heritage soapstone!
(ours is about 15 years old and doesn't have a catalyst so I can't help you there at all).
It absolutely will radiate heat for hours after the flames die down.
From what I understand from your OP, you'll be surrounding
it with stone...the stone will also soak up heat and radiate for a good long time. That sounds
like a great set-up.
Ours is out on our enclosed porch (not an ideal spot at all) and with the top of a couple windows cracked open and the back
door open to circulate the heat into the house, we've halved our gas bill in the winter.
They are really nice heaters--and I gotta admit, really pretty too! ;)