Wood stove in shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hearthon

Dec 6, 2019
hearthon
I’m putting a wood stove in my shed and was wondering if I can connect a double ale pipe to a single walled pipe. I would like my pipes to be single wall but when it goes through the roof I want it to be double walled. Can they be connect together?

I’m putting a wood stove in my shed and was wondering if I can connect a double ale pipe to a single walled pipe. I would like my pipes to be single wall but when it goes through the roof I want it to be double walled. Can they be connect together?
It needs to be chimney pipe through the roof. And yes single wall pipe will connect to chimney pipe

Just be sure to honor the clearances for both types of flue. Chimney pipe is typically 2". Single-wall it 18".

How high of a chimney? What kind of stove? Please dont skimp out on the 3ft length of class A chimney pipe that goes through the roof, also honor the stove clearances to combustible walls and flooring, even though its a shed.

I got a new stove and I’m trying to do everything right this time.

I’ll have to do some research on the difference on chimney pipe and double walled pipe.

im not sure what kind of stove it is I posted a picture of it. I bought it off kijiji for $50!

that was my next question how high should the pipe go? Should it go above the peak of the roof or just make sure it’s above the bottom of the roof?

I’m going to put up a sheet metal wall 1 inch away from the wall. And with the floor I’m not too concerned because it’s a 6inch solid pad. But I am going to put all 4 legs on firebricks so I don’t crack my concrete.

thanks to everyone for the response and answers I’m trying to get ready for the winter

Attachments

• F7489751-47E4-436A-AEEC-70DCB62473B9.png
    F7489751-47E4-436A-AEEC-70DCB62473B9.png
    627.3 KB · Views: 205
that was my next question how high should the pipe go? Should it go above the peak of the roof or just make sure it’s above the bottom of the roof?

Depends on location, trees, hills, prevailing wind, roof pitch, etc. You need it high enough to get a good draft is what it comes down too.

Does this stove have secondary combustion tubes under the baffle?

First and foremost the chimney needs to conform to the 10-3-2 rule.
10-3-2 rule.JPG

I’m not really sure what a secondary combustion tube under the baffle means I’ll have to look into that.

I like that picture a lot I’ll build mine to look like the stove pipe to the right of the pic. Mine will be closer to the top of my roof..

I’m not really sure what a secondary combustion tube under the baffle means I’ll have to look into that.

I like that picture a lot I’ll build mine to look like the stove pipe to the right of the pic. Mine will be closer to the top of my roof..
Is there a UL label on the back of the stove that lists the make and model?

No I don’t think so, I’ll take a picture and post it tomorrow.

how do I go about figuring out my roofs pitch? I can measure the slope of it but I see numbers like 12/12 and have no idea how to go about measuring the pitch.

easy way to figure pitch cut a 12" board like a 2x4 hold it level on your roof I suggest using a torpedo level and measure up from the roof to the bottom of the board if its 2" you have 2/12 pitch 3" would be 3/12, 4" would be 4/12" and so on

Here is a picture of the back of the stove.

I also took a picture of the inside of the door, I’m guessing I need that rope to line it. It looks like someone took it off.

it’s weird how there is no stamp or anything telling me what kind of wood stove this is. I even took a pic of the front so maybe someone knows what it is

Attachments

• 6264C61A-690D-4BC3-8BE4-B3A94A17E12B.jpeg
    6264C61A-690D-4BC3-8BE4-B3A94A17E12B.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 163
  • 25409F2F-E57E-4EB7-A5FD-9E93CCEC1FA4.jpeg
    25409F2F-E57E-4EB7-A5FD-9E93CCEC1FA4.jpeg
    134.9 KB · Views: 150
  • 6A701BEF-39C5-486A-913A-B7A8EC8F046C.jpeg
    6A701BEF-39C5-486A-913A-B7A8EC8F046C.jpeg
    140.2 KB · Views: 151
I thought it might be a Haugh but their door handle is on the left.

How do I know what size rope to get for the door? I seen I think 4 different sizes when I went to the store.

also if I get a chimney pipe that has a id of 6 inches I figure the outside would much more than 6 inches. Let’s say 8-9.
So my question is for the pieces that Goes through my roof with the angle of my roof how much clearance from my pipe to that metal piece should there be.

I’m sorry I don’t know the name of that piece that goes through the roof.

How do I know what size rope to get for the door? I seen I think 4 different sizes when I went to the store.

also if I get a chimney pipe that has a id of 6 inches I figure the outside would much more than 6 inches. Let’s say 8-9.
So my question is for the pieces that Goes through my roof with the angle of my roof how much clearance from my pipe to that metal piece should there be.

I’m sorry I don’t know the name of that piece that goes through the roof.
Read the instructions from the chimney manufacturer. And use the required components

What about rope size, how do I go about figuring that out?

shiuld I just measure the indent on the door and buy that one?

May be a identifying tag on the back of the stove, hidden by the rear heat shield. Not sure if you can get a look in there?
Interesting door latch location.

So I would need a single wall pipe to go to this bracket/support kit. Then a chimney pipe going through the wall. Then a double wall pipe on top of my shed roof with a cap.

Next time I’m in the shed I’ll see if I Can see anything behind the rear heat plate.

thanks for the reply’s, I’m trying to buy all the pipes this week.

So I would need a single wall pipe to go to this bracket/support kit. Then a chimney pipe going through the wall. Then a double wall pipe on top of my shed roof with a cap.

Next time I’m in the shed I’ll see if I Can see anything behind the rear heat plate.

thanks for the reply’s, I’m trying to buy all the pipes this week.
No you need stove pipe either single or double wall inside untill it reaches the transition to chimney pipe below the roof. From there you stay with chimney pipe untill it terminates at the proper height.

You wouldn’t recommend going through the roof with chimney pipe and no support kit? Just pipe through roof flashing.

You wouldn’t recommend going through the roof with chimney pipe and no support kit? Just pipe through roof flashing.
No, something needs to hold the weight of the chimney. There is a roof support system when there is no other option, but that still needs to tie into structure.

RoofSupportKit_UltraTemp.jpg

Last edited: