Wood Stove Insert Maintenance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

druderman

Mar 26, 2009
western ma
I have a fairly new Pacific Energy wood stove insert, and it appears to have been installed very well.

I'm wondering if there is some regular maintenance that I should be doing either on a weekly or monthly basis during the burning season.
I of course already remove the ashes when they pile up too much and make sure the air vents are clear.

Also, I'm willing to clean the pipe in the chimney in the Spring, but I can't figure out where the ashes will end up if I do brush it.
The stove doesn't have an obvious opening to the chimney and of course weighs a ton, so I'm not going to mess with it.

Thanks,

-dave

Look in the instructions for how to remove the baffle. You take that out, shut the door, then sweep the chim.

I am running a Pacific insert with a full stainless-steel liner connection. During the burn season, my maintenance includes removing the ash from the front of the stove each morning and bringing the coals forward. Then I add more wood. Every weekend, I will take out more ashes, if they are building up. About once a month, I will let the stove cool down enough to clean the glass of the ash haze, using wet newspaper pages dipped in ashes.

It is also good practice to inspect the cap, during the burn season, if your chimney is accessible,. That should give indications if sweeping is required. So far, I have been able to go through the whole burn season without having to sweep during that time.

After this winter's burn season is over, I will remove all the ashes; sweep the chimney; and inspect the firebrick, the side rails, side rail insulation, and interior and exterior welds of the firebox. To sweep, you need to carefully remove the baffle, cover the rectangular baffle tube (important if you don't want the sweepings to plug the tube), place a garbage bag etc. in the firebox under the flue connection, close the air control and the stove door, and get on the roof to sweep from the top down. Once the sweepings are removed, place a new baffle gasket around the baffle tube or make one like Hogwildz's configuration, and carefully re-install the baffle. From there, you should be good to go for the next burn season.

Make sure you do your sweeping and inspection after the burn season is over, and not before the start of the new burn season. I learned this the hard way. If you do a search, you will find the thread I started that explains this. To summarize, if you notice any problems that require repair, it is easier to get things done when it is not peak season for the dealership and manufacturer.

Finally, as jtp10181 stated, make sure to read the manual. The manual contains detailed instructions, in regard to maintenance, baffle removal, etc.

Thank you. This is helpful.
If I know in general that this is the way to clean the chimney that is a good start.
Plus I don't have to worry that much until Spring about maintenance.

The manual has very little on service.
It does say how to remove the baffle, but not much more - like what the point is.
I suppose the baffle gasket connects the stove to the flue.
Why I would I ever need to replace it?
More to learn.

I also see a broken heat brick in the back inside the stove. It's just a clean crack. But nothing chipped off. I figure I broke it by throwing in a log. Should I care much? I have a feeling there is no point.

Also, I'll have to figure out a nice way to sweep the flue, since it's maybe 20 feet, but I'll search around here to find info on a good way.
I suppose will have to buy a brush and snake, etc. I also have 2 pellet stoves, so I figure it will be worth the investment.

Thanks!

-dave

The baffle gasket is in the back of the baffle where the secondary air inlet is connected to the baffle. For sweeping you will need either a brush of the proper size for the chimney and sectioned fiberglass rods to push it down the chimney or if you do it like I do I use two ropes and a brush. I pull the brush down into the firebox and they back up to the top. For that you need two ropes, a brush, and a extra pull ring for the brush.

Status
Not open for further replies.