Wood Stove Insert question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DyslexicDancer

Nov 30, 2021
Dallas Texas
Had a question for y'all on a wood stove insert

I have a small home in the Dallas area, 1300 sq feet. my home was built in 1977 and I have the original fireplace and am wanting to convert it to a wood stove

After doing a bunch of reading I think I have decided on a Blaze King Princess 29, it will be a tight fit, but i think it will fit based off the spec sheet. My Fireplace is 36"Wx24"Hx 18"D, so i won't have much room on the height portion, maybe 1/2" to spare

I've found a dealer with a good price for the Princess 29 stove, under $3000 for everything I need including tax and shipping , but they are too far away to do the install themselves.

I've contacted a local fireplace shop and they sell Regency stoves, their quote for a Regency stove installed is right at $6000, which seems a bit expensive, I asked if they would install the Princess 29 if I provided all the materials, they said yes, for $1600, that also seems super expensive

I have no experience with wood stoves so I'm open to other stove options, but it seems that the Princess 29 is pretty much what I'm looking for (on paper anyway)

I've looked at a few videos and the installation process seems pretty straight forward, have any of y'all done your own install? is it a lot harder than it looks? is $1600 worth it for an install that I assume will only take 1/2 a day at most?

Any Advice would be appreciated on a self install and on stove recommendations, I've attached a few pictures to show y'all what I'm working with

Thanks in advance
D. Dancer

20211129_155402.jpg 20211129_155415.jpg 20211129_155601.jpg

An install can be an easy half day for an experienced crew or can be a brutal 2 days for the same crew. It all depends on the specifics.

Your fireplace looks like a prefab not a masonry fireplace. What make and model is the fireplace? Most do not allow inserts to be installed in them.

Reactions: DyslexicDancer
An install can be an easy half day for an experienced crew or can be a brutal 2 days for the same crew. It all depends on the specifics.

Your fireplace looks like a prefab not a masonry fireplace. What make and model is the fireplace? Most do not allow inserts to be installed in them.
I'm not sure the make an model of the fireplace, I had no idea an insert might not be allowed in it, I guess I should figure this out before ordering a wood stove insert

I'm not sure the make an model of the fireplace, I had no idea an insert might not be allowed in it, I guess I should figure this out before ordering a wood stove insert
That would be the first step yes

Quick question for you, I assume I won't be able to find a Make or Model on the prefab fireplace as I assume it's original to my home which was built in 1977 and I've never seen a make or model stamped into any portion of it that I can see, but I'll check when I get home from work today

What is the danger of placing a wood stove insert into the prefab fireplace? If the fireplace is safe for a fire, how could it not be safe for a wood stove insert? or is this a weight issue?

Thanks

Quick question for you, I assume I won't be able to find a Make or Model on the prefab fireplace as I assume it's original to my home which was built in 1977 and I've never seen a make or model stamped into any portion of it that I can see, but I'll check when I get home from work today

What is the danger of placing a wood stove insert into the prefab fireplace? If the fireplace is safe for a fire, how could it not be safe for a wood stove insert? or is this a weight issue?

Thanks
An open fireplace with tons of air being pulled in to supply the fire runs at much lower temps than an insert. But the fact is we have no idea if it is safe or no because no one ever tested it in most prefab fireplaces. It may be perfectly safe we just have no way to know

An open fireplace with tons of air being pulled in to supply the fire runs at much lower temps than an insert. But the fact is we have no idea if it is safe or no because no one ever tested it in most prefab fireplaces. It may be perfectly safe we just have no way to know
I see, that makes perfect sense

This probably won't help, but this is the only information I could find on the fireplace, so I assume it's a Majestic GEK 36 since it's 36 inches wide..... just a guess based on this info plate

20211201_162527.jpg

Hi all, I believe that the better way to look at this situation is to make sure the insert is approved to be installed in a prefab fireplace. The older Osburn insert units would have it stamped on metal plate with the model info. It would read something like approved for use in pre fab fireplace. I’m not certain if any manufacturers currently make such an insert. Also, it appears to be the older style galvanized chimney and may need to be replaced.

Hi all, I believe that the better way to look at this situation is to make sure the insert is approved to be installed in a prefab fireplace. The older Osburn insert units would have it stamped on metal plate with the model info. It would read something like approved for use in pre fab fireplace. I’m not certain if any manufacturers currently make such an insert. Also, it appears to be the older style galvanized chimney and may need to be replaced.
Both the insert and fireplace need to allow the installation. An insert manufacturer cannot over ride the instructions from the fireplace manufacturer.

The chimney would need to be replaced with one specified for use with that specific fireplace. Which may very well be out of production

I spoke to Blaze King and apparently this installation is a No-Go, they said the wood stove would melt the steel panels of the prefab fireplace and eventually cause a fire

they said the only real option would be to remove the prefab unit and have a masonry liner put in it's place and that would be pretty expensive

Reactions: clancey
I spoke to Blaze King and apparently this installation is a No-Go, they said the wood stove would melt the steel panels of the prefab fireplace and eventually cause a fire

they said the only real option would be to remove the prefab unit and have a masonry liner put in it's place and that would be pretty expensive
Yes very expensive. Building a full masonry fireplace could easily exceed $20,000. A freestanding stove in another location would be an option. Or remove that fireplace and do a free stander

Yes very expensive. Building a full masonry fireplace could easily exceed $20,000. A freestanding stove in another location would be an option. Or remove that fireplace and do a free stander
I don't have another place to put a free standing wood stove, this corner of the house is really the only location I can think of that would work ....... it's a small 1300 Sq Ft home. I suppose I could demo the current fireplace and brick work, take it down to studs then put up some sheet rock. but man that seems like a much bigger project than I want to take on, but cost wise is the only viable option if I want a wood stove. Probably just gonna have to pick up a kerosene heater for the really cold days. we're all electric and have a heat pump. In the Dallas area this is no big deal most of the time, but last winter we had a week of crazy low temps and to make matters worse half the state lost power, I was thinking a wood burning stove would be a nice addition for the handful of really cold days we have, Plus I really like ambiance of it. but it may have to be a kero heater :(

20211201_191635.jpg

I don't have another place to put a free standing wood stove, this corner of the house is really the only location I can think of that would work ....... it's a small 1300 Sq Ft home. I suppose I could demo the current fireplace and brick work, take it down to studs then put up some sheet rock. but man that seems like a much bigger project than I want to take on, but cost wise is the only viable option if I want a wood stove. Probably just gonna have to pick up a kerosene heater for the really cold days. we're all electric and have a heat pump. In the Dallas area this is no big deal most of the time, but last winter we had a week of crazy low temps and to make matters worse half the state lost power, I was thinking a wood burning stove would be a nice addition for the handful of really cold days we have, Plus I really like ambiance of it. but it may have to be a kero heater :(

View attachment 286846
So I've been giving this some thought and I think I'm going to demo my fireplace. Been looking at some videos on how to install a free standing Wood stove, and it seems pretty straight forward. I may need to hire a good drywall guy to match the texture on my walls and ceiling once this ugly fireplace is gone, but that shouldn't be too big a deal.

From looking at it I think I can put a Blaze King Princess 32 it the same spot as my current fireplace, the installation manual shows I only need 4 inches of clearance from the back corners of the stove to the walls, the floor is going to be tile in this room, so I don't think I need an insulated Hearth Pad. I should be able to use the existing holes in the ceiling and roof (that the current fireplace uses for it's chimney) for the new wood stove chimney.

I was looking at using Duravent Duraplus triple walled stainless chimney pipe and one of their thru ceiling install kits, but would like to hear what recommendations any of y'all have on which chimney pipe to use.

Also would like recommendations for which pipe to use from the stove to the Ceiling Support box, I have found a telescoping Duravent pipe, but it's single walled. If I'm reading this right, the stove manual recommends a double walled pipe, so any recommendations would be appreciated

Thanks again for all the help
D. Dancer

So I've been giving this some thought and I think I'm going to demo my fireplace. Been looking at some videos on how to install a free standing Wood stove, and it seems pretty straight forward. I may need to hire a good drywall guy to match the texture on my walls and ceiling once this ugly fireplace is gone, but that shouldn't be too big a deal.

From looking at it I think I can put a Blaze King Princess 32 it the same spot as my current fireplace, the installation manual shows I only need 4 inches of clearance from the back corners of the stove to the walls, the floor is going to be tile in this room, so I don't think I need an insulated Hearth Pad. I should be able to use the existing holes in the ceiling and roof (that the current fireplace uses for it's chimney) for the new wood stove chimney.

I was looking at using Duravent Duraplus triple walled stainless chimney pipe and one of their thru ceiling install kits, but would like to hear what recommendations any of y'all have on which chimney pipe to use.

Also would like recommendations for which pipe to use from the stove to the Ceiling Support box, I have found a telescoping Duravent pipe, but it's single walled. If I'm reading this right, the stove manual recommends a double walled pipe, so any recommendations would be appreciated

Thanks again for all the help
D. Dancer
Dura plus is their cheapest and worst performing line. Go with double wall not triple

also, be prepared for waiting; stoves (or their parts) are in short supply. So you might run into months of waiting.

It's a tough decision, but in the long run I think you'll be happier. Besides having reliable alternative heat, you will regain some living room space. Demolition goes quicker than you might think. Tent off the area and put in a fan in the closest window to exhaust out the dust. Wear a good dust mask.

And yes, go with DuraTech instead of DuraPlus. This is infrastructure and you get the tax credit for the entire installation, including the chimney, so do the best job possible.

Appreciate the recommendations, I was thinking 3 walls would be better than 2 for the Chimney pipe, Glad I asked

I'll make sure to order the DuraTech Stove pipe and DuraTech ceiling support kit

for the stove pipe that goes from the top of the stove to the Ceiling support box, would Dura-Vent 6DVL-68TA be a good choice?