Wood Stove Insert question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
also, be prepared for waiting; stoves (or their parts) are in short supply. So you might run into months of waiting.
yeah, I was told the stove will not ship for 6 to 8 weeks, but I was surprised what a good deal I found on the Princess 32, it's only going to cost about $2000 with tax and shipping, I was expecting to pay more than this for the stove

Reactions: stoveliker
It's a tough decision, but in the long run I think you'll be happier. Besides having reliable alternative heat, you will regain some living room space. Demolition goes quicker than you might think. Tent off the area and put in a fan in the closest window to exhaust out the dust. Wear a good dust mask.

And yes, go with DuraTech instead of DuraPlus. This is infrastructure and you get the tax credit for the entire installation, including the chimney, so do the best job possible.
I expect Demo tp be pretty easy, I'll just use a rotary hammer to break out the bricks, but I'll definitely need to hire a drywall guy for the finish work, I can't match the texturing

Guess this brings up another question, I assume it would be better to use a cement type board instead of drywall behind and to the sides of the stove, but I didn't see anything in the install manual about this

That is indeed a rather good price. But the pipe will add considerably. Your stack is tall enough?

If you are putting cement board on wood studs it doesn't make much (I e. Only 0.5 inch) difference in clearances. Clearances are to.the nearest combustibles. Which is either the paper on drywall or the studs.

Reactions: DyslexicDancer
That is indeed a rather good price. But the pipe will add considerably. Your stack is tall enough?

If you are putting cement board on wood studs it doesn't make much (I e. Only 0.5 inch) difference in clearances. Clearances are to.the nearest combustibles. Which is either the paper on drywall or the studs.
Yes, I'm seeing that the Chimney pipes and install kit is gonna run over $1000, but I want to do this right with quality materials, may as well get the most out of the 26% federal rebate :)

So you think Drywall will be fine?

Yes, I'm seeing that the Chimney pipes and install kit is gonna run over $1000, but I want to do this right with quality materials, may as well get the most out of the 26% federal rebate :)

So you think Drywall will be fine?

If the distance to the drywall meets the clearances, then yes.

Reactions: DyslexicDancer
I spoke to Blaze King and apparently this installation is a No-Go, they said the wood stove would melt the steel panels of the prefab fireplace and eventually cause a fire

they said the only real option would be to remove the prefab unit and have a masonry liner put in it's place and that would be pretty expensive
Let me clarify our position. (I will also address this with my staff based upon your take away of the conversation)

There are standards and there are safety tests. Currently, there are safety tests for the installation of solid fuel heaters into factory built fireplaces. For many years our company and others relied upon these tests. Safety tests test for items such as mantel clearances, side clearances, floor r-value requirements and other clearances to combustibles.

In Canada, there is a ULC standard for the insertion of a solid fuel heater into a masonry fireplace. At this time, UL is adopting those same standards for the same application, inserting a solid fuel heater into a masonry fireplace for the USA. NFPA 211 also provides some guidance for this same topic.

At this time, there is no standard, either in Canada or the US for the insertion of a solid fuel heater into a factory build (also commonly called prefab or zero clearance) fireplaces. Again, there are safety tests but no standards. Our company, amongst others, are waiting for these standards to be developed. Once standards are in place, our company and other may seek approvals based upon these standards.

Once these exist, I will update this forum on that having transpired. Until then, follow manufacturers instructions. This includes solid fuel heater (insert) manufacturers and the fireplace manufacturers.

BKVP

Reactions: EbS-P