wood stove installer recommendation in Nassau County, NY

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bigiron

Mar 13, 2019
Nassau County, NY
I contacted Woodstock Soapstone for a recommendation of an installer/sweep to install the PH but the response I got is to search someone from https://www.csia.org/ "Chimney Safety Institute of America"

I can't find anyone there that is licensed in Nassau County, NY, only from Suffolk and other counties.

Anyone here that can recommend a licensed company in Nassau County? This will be our first wood stove. We're installing the stove in the living room ranch house with flat ceiling, so I think it will be a straight install. I told my wife that the number one priority is "safety" so please let me know of any best safety practices that some installer might bypass and are there any recommendation of chimney and stove pipe brand/model that are considered very high quality.

Does having a taller ceiling support box considered "safer" because there is less chance for anything in the attic to touch the chimney pipe or that's not the purpose of the ceiling support box?

thanks,

Calling @Dix to see if she has a recommendation.
What zip code in Nassau County? I am seeing several in the Syosset area.

The ceiling support box supports the chimney. If you have a flat ceiling with an attic space above then it will be shallow and will need an attic insulation guard with collar to stop anything from falling into the support box. If the ceiling is open and peaked like a cathedral ceiling then it will need a cathedral ceiling support box that continues right up to the roof.

Here's a picture of the attic. The yellow outline is right above the living room where the stove is going. There's more depth space in there than what it looks like in the picture.

attic-ceiling-1.jpg

Yup, I'll check the floor of the attic to make sure there's no surprises. The hanging wires (low voltage) in the horizontal wood is for the thermostat, it looks like it can easily be moved so it will be away from the chimney pipe. The white pvc pipe in front of the picture is an unused piece not connected to anything so I took it out already.

Here's a picture of the attic. The yellow outline is right above the living room where the stove is going. There's more depth space in there than what it looks like in the picture.

View attachment 275302
Yes, that will need an attic insulation shielded chimney pipe on top of the support box. This is roughly what is needed.

ceiling-support-installation.jpg

Sorry, guys, I'm in Suffolk County, towards the East End.

The dealer does not install? Or is it a used stove?

Welcome to the Forums !

Sorry, guys, I'm in Suffolk County, towards the East End.

The dealer does not install? Or is it a used stove?

Welcome to the Forums !
Hi Dix,

I'm going to order the Woodstock PH. It's a ranch house with no existing chimney. I will need a reputable installer that service Nassau County to install a chimney and the stove.

Woodstock said to look for a certified chimney sweep in https://www.csia.org/ but I cannot find any that service Nassau County.

Is there a company that you can recommend?

Thanks.

What zip code? I tried Syosset and got several. Some are in CT which of course is not going to work, but several showed up within 10 miles.

Chief Chimney Services, Inc.
24 Hofstra Drive
Smithtown, NY 11787 2019
17.4 miles
Work Phone: (631) 863-2460
(631) 863-2460

David Jarett
North American Chimney & Gutter Corp.

129 Fifth Ave.
Bay Shore, NY 11706
14.7 miles
Work Phone: (800) 275-5475
(800) 275-5475

Firms also showed up in lower Westchester (Mamaroneck and Port Chester)

Chief Chimney Services, Inc.
24 Hofstra Drive
Smithtown, NY 11787 2019
17.4 miles
Work Phone: (631) 863-2460
(631) 863-2460

David Jarett
North American Chimney & Gutter Corp.

129 Fifth Ave.
Bay Shore, NY 11706
14.7 miles
Work Phone: (800) 275-5475
(800) 275-5475

Firms also showed up in lower Westchester (Mamaroneck and Port Chester)
Hi begreen,

I did contact Chief Chimney Services one month ago (they have a pretty good list of certification badges in csia site) and they told me they don't service Nassau County. I also checked North American Chimney and their website doesn't include Nassau County or Syosset in their service area.

I find it weird that Nassau County area is not serviced, maybe there's not enough customers around here?

Are there specific county codes that make this a pain in the butt? Have you called North American to find out what the issue is? Maybe they just don't want to belong to CSIA?
Try a search in Google for Chimney Sweeps Syosset and also Yelp. Look for places that get repeated good review and will provide references.

Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 8.50.32 AM.png

To bad in Chief, I've used them, they are freaking "A".

Nassau is a tough call. I think way less wood burning going on there, than here in Suffolk.

Hi Dix!

How's the springtime weather holding up down in Icy Hollow?

It was 50 up here at the top of the hill today! ;lol

Don't get me started!!! Cesspool line froze, it was fun, fun, fun !! :mad:

• Wow
Reactions: begreen
Syosset 11791

Crazy, I live in the town next to you and I'm looking for a new stove. I am looking to get a new Lopi Evergreen stove installed in the next 6 months. I was going to call Jetmore tomorrow since they are a Lopi dealer and hoping that they knew of an installer. I figured there weren't many people with a wood stove around here, but didn't think there would be an issue finding someone to install one.

Mind if I ask how many square feet you're heating? I'm nervous about getting the right size stove. I have a small morton ranch, so it sounds like we may have a similar house. My house is approximately 1,500 square feet, not including the basement.

Please post here if you find someone to do the installation. If I find anything, I will post here.

Crazy, I live in the town next to you and I'm looking for a new stove. I am looking to get a new Lopi Evergreen stove installed in the next 6 months. I was going to call Jetmore tomorrow since they are a Lopi dealer and hoping that they knew of an installer. I figured there weren't many people with a wood stove around here, but didn't think there would be an issue finding someone to install one.

Mind if I ask how many square feet you're heating? I'm nervous about getting the right size stove. I have a small morton ranch, so it sounds like we may have a similar house. My house is approximately 1,500 square feet, not including the basement.

Please post here if you find someone to do the installation. If I find anything, I will post here.

hi mambwe,

It's 1,300 sqft not including the basement and we're planning to open up the garage as a living space open to the living room, that will make it 1,500 sqft. I think lopi evergreen is a steel stove so the way it heats is probably different to a soap stone stove. I'll definitely post here when I find an installer. I will look for an installer that have experience installing ICC Excel chimney.

hi mambwe,

It's 1,300 sqft not including the basement and we're planning to open up the garage as a living space open to the living room, that will make it 1,500 sqft. I think lopi evergreen is a steel stove so the way it heats is probably different to a soap stone stove. I'll definitely post here when I find an installer. I will look for an installer that have experience installing ICC Excel chimney.

I spoke to Jetmore today and they do install wood stoves. I didn't ask them any specifics on stove pipes or anything else. I'm gonna go there to see the Lopi stove they have on display. I will let you know if I find anything else.

@mambwe

Do you have an existing chimney or you will also need a new chimney installed?

I do not have a chimney. We’re doing exactly what you are doing...going into our garage and putting on a little extension in the back. Kitchen, living room and dining room will be one big open space. The plan for now is to have the stove against a wall by the living room. We’re going to have cathedral ceilings and the stovepipe will go straight up through the roof. The work won’t begin for a few months and we are still working on things. Not sure what will go behind the stove and pipe. We are probably going to do some type of mason work on the wall behind the stove. My sons bedroom will share the wall the stove is on and I want to make sure everything is safe.

@mambwe this company install class A chimney in Nassau County and they are listed as certified sweep in https://www.csia.org/ . Posting it here in case jetmore will only install the stove and not the new class A chimney.

@mambwe this company install class A chimney in Nassau County and they are listed as certified sweep in https://www.csia.org/ . Posting it here in case jetmore will only install the stove and not the new class A chimney.

@bigiron Did you ever get your stove installed? My project has been pushed back, so I haven't. Just wondering if you found someone to install your stove and how you like it.