Wood Stove into gas chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamaha_gurl

Aug 31, 2008
Ontairo
So just curious, our gas furnace is slowly going, so this winter we are hoping to heat with only a wood stove. We have a 100ish year old 3 story house with the gas furnace in the basement, however there is a very big masonary "chimney" I guess you could say, that starts in the basement and goes up to the roof. Is there any possibility we could cut through the drywall and stone in the 2nd story, put a liner in and attach a wood stove? Providing we have the gas turn off and possibly have the furnace taken out.

Thank you.

Really eh? Does it have to be a certain size? I mean if the stove requires a 6" pipe then the chimney has to accomidate that....but does there need to be more air space around it?

They make double wall isulated liners for tight spaces.

Which would be less expensive? If we don't use the masonary chimney we are looking at putting the stove in the kitchen and then we only have to go through the roof and up 3 feet.

It's hard to say, costs might be pretty close. If costs are equal, which location will work out best for heating most of the house?

In the chimney is more in the middle of the house, however, we'd have to tear down dry wall and brick to get the stove pipe into the chimney. I'm so confused with this whole chimney thing...lol. If we go just straight through the ceiling instead of using the chimney, what parts do we need? I have looked at Home Depot and they sell these chimney "kits", so with those I only need to add the lenghts and that's it? :red:

Status
Not open for further replies.