Wood Stove Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

idahome

Nov 30, 2021
idaho
We purchased a house this spring that had a freestanding wood stove, I attempted to get the pipe cleaned this fall and that's when the issues came up. I live out in the woods about an hour from a city, there is one local guy that cleans chimneys. When he came out he said the roof was too steep and he would have to clean from down below. When he lifted the sleeve on the pipe that was on the stove the pipe wasn't attached at the ceiling, the entire 24' of pipe almost fell in my house. We got the sleeve back down on the stove, he put a couple screws in up top, and left, and I have spent the last 9 weeks trying to get help with no luck.

One of the 45 degree elbows broke, they don't make this pipe from 2006 anymore which leads me to needing all new pipe.

Even if I get new pipe I can't find anyone to get up on my roof to clean the pipe. I have called 37 companies ranging in a 6 hour drive to my place and nobody will get on my roof after I send them pictures, of those 37 I got 3 to come out to my house and they said no.

So, is there a wood stove and pipe system that can be cleaned from the bottom? Lifting the sleeve isn't going to work, there is 24' of 6" double wall pipe hanging from the ceiling, unless there are brackets that can be attached from the wall to help hold the pipe.

I am willing to replace everything to have a system in place that can be cleaned from the bottom.

what stove is it?

Most can be cleaned from the bottom through the stove with a rotory system but you will still need to pull the pipe off the top and clean anything that might have fallen onto your bypass gasket.

The doublewall should be screwed together and supported from the cealing support box. Then you have a small section of telescoping slip pipe at the bottom that allows you slip the pipe up off the top of the chimney.

Reactions: Todd
what stove is it?

Most can be cleaned from the bottom through the stove with a rotory system but you will still need to pull the pipe off the top and clean anything that might have fallen onto your bypass gasket.

The doublewall should be screwed together and supported from the cealing support box. Then you have a small section of telescoping slip pipe at the bottom that allows you slip the pipe up off the top of the chimney.
It is an EarthStove 1900 H.T.-M.

The problem is I can't get anyone to get on my roof to clean from the top. I am thinking about replacing with a propane or pellet stove.

what stove is it?

This is what my setup is. I have a slip or telescoping section wher it connects to the stove flue collar. I simply unscrew that section at the flue collar and slide it up a few feet then sweep from the bottom up with a trash bag attached to the pipe to catch the soot.

How steep is your roof?

What is scaring them?

20211130_093435.jpg

Ok. I see why they'd pass. It'd take some time to set up to be safe. There are plenty of easy roofs to do.

So, the first thing I'd do is see if the telescoping section on the pipe is just stuck with creosote to the singlewall. If the two were stuck together you could lift the chimney right out of the ceiling support box, which normally supports the chimney. I'm not sure when Earthstove stopped making stoves, but none that I've seen were newer than EPA regulations. It wouldn't be hard to fuse them. If thats the case, you could cut the old single wall off and then install new pipe.

If the chimney support box is supporting the chimney you can clean the one you have from the bottom.

We purchased a house this spring that had a freestanding wood stove, I attempted to get the pipe cleaned this fall and that's when the issues came up. I live out in the woods about an hour from a city, there is one local guy that cleans chimneys. When he came out he said the roof was too steep and he would have to clean from down below. When he lifted the sleeve on the pipe that was on the stove the pipe wasn't attached at the ceiling, the entire 24' of pipe almost fell in my house. We got the sleeve back down on the stove, he put a couple screws in up top, and left, and I have spent the last 9 weeks trying to get help with no luck.

One of the 45 degree elbows broke, they don't make this pipe from 2006 anymore which leads me to needing all new pipe.

Even if I get new pipe I can't find anyone to get up on my roof to clean the pipe. I have called 37 companies ranging in a 6 hour drive to my place and nobody will get on my roof after I send them pictures, of those 37 I got 3 to come out to my house and they said no.

So, is there a wood stove and pipe system that can be cleaned from the bottom? Lifting the sleeve isn't going to work, there is 24' of 6" double wall pipe hanging from the ceiling, unless there are brackets that can be attached from the wall to help hold the pipe.

I am willing to replace everything to have a system in place that can be cleaned from the bottom.
What type of stovepipe is currently installed? If you don't know, post some pictures.

I think the Earthstove 1900-HT is a conventional tube stove. The smaller versions have firebrick baffles. If the 1900 also has this setup then cleaning this flue from the bottom up with a Sooteater should be a relatively simple DIY task as long as dry wood is being burned and creosote buildup is light.

Edit: Found the manual. The stove has baffle plates instead of bricks. Remove them for cleaning the flue as described on page 18.

Last edited:
Reactions: 71montess